Black Bamboo identification please

Moderator: needmore

Louise2014
Location info: 0

Black Bamboo identification please

Post by Louise2014 »

I have a black bamboo clump growing in my garden in Harare, Zimbabwe. It is not like ones you have on your site in that the trunk is not circular on the transvers cut. Rather, it is elliptical.
Otherwise it grows very like a grassy clump with long leaves and the shaft is covered in a downy, white powdery bloom which, when polished off, reveals a beautiful aubergine purple underneath.
It does not grow to more the 5-6cm diameter.
I wish to export this bamboo to Ireland for the World Flower Show but I need its botanical names.
Can anyone help?
moriphen
Location: Southern New Jersey 7b about 5 mins from Philadelphia, PA

Re: Black Bamboo identification please

Post by moriphen »

Sounds like a tropical grass, are the leaves directly attached to the stems? If you do not see branches supporting individual leaves its not in the bamboo family. As for the elliptical shaped culms/trunk that is something I have never seen in any bamboo.
M
Louise2014

Post by Louise2014 »

Thank you for that answer. So far as I can see the leaves are directly attached to the stem. Each section does however have a nodule, but what will grow out of it I am not sure. I will check on an older stem. Is there any way I can post pictures on this forum? I have them in jpeg format.
If it is a grass, any suggestions where I may be able to identify this plant? Thanks for your input :D
dependable

Post by dependable »

There is a place to upload attachments in box below this one you type in.