Bory flowering

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

Alan
Location info: 0

Bory flowering

Post by Alan »

Hi all, I havent been here in years but thought I'd stop by to say my Bory is flowering and ask: when is the best time/when to collect the seeds? i wouldn't mind growing up some small plants to see if I can do it. It's such a strong variety
-Alan in Seattle
-alan in seattle
zone8
David
Location info: 30
Location: Middle Tennessee (Murfreesboro) USDA Zone 6b/7a Record low Jan 1966 -14*F Frost free April 21-Oct.21

Re: Bory flowering

Post by David »

Hello Alan.

Good to see your post, and hope you are doing well.
I don't post very often either. I'm supposed to be retired, but I seem to be busier than when I worked.

A friend of mine says his Henon is flowering. My 'Megurochiku' flowered for several years then died, but it has several seedlings coming up.
I hope my Bory isn't flowering but it probably will. Bory is such a beautiful plant I would hate to loose it.

As far as collecting seeds, I just let them fall to the ground, and then kick some leaves over them.
Looks as if all the Henon clan is going to flower. Too bad they make really pretty groves.
David Arnold
Middle Tennessee Bamboo Farm
USDA zone 6b
Alan

Post by Alan »

David, Thanks for the reply. it would be my intention to propagate the seeds in pots but i can collect them when they fall. i like the idea of having many small plants as it's so hard to make small divisions that are viable. i wonder if the Nigra will flower soon if the Henon, Megurochiku and Bory have all flowered near the same time. I would actually like that. my neighbor's is uncontrolled and getting everywhere!
-alan in seattle
zone8
ShmuBamboo

Post by ShmuBamboo »

Odd. No flowering Bory here. Or black for that matter. Lots of people reporting locally that their Phy. nigra is flowering. My Henon bloomed 3 yeas ago now, and all the shoots that have come up since have also flowered. The rhizome lives on! The goat next door does not mind. Thus far all the seeds from flowering bamboos here have not been viable. Those include Far. nitida, Phy. glauca Yunzhu, Bam. multiplex Alphonse Karr, and Phy. nigra Henon. All of those types croaked after flowering. Except Henon, which I keep eradicating but it keeps shooting. It was a large stand full size.
Happy trails...