Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

fredgpops
Location info: 0
Location: plus 700ft in the Santa Cruz Mtns, 8 miles from the Pacific
35 miles S. of San Jose

Late shoots

Post by fredgpops »

Madake and Robert Young are just shooting, Normal shooting April thu June. It was a drought year but I've not seen impact like this during other drought years. Rgds
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Re: Late shoots

Post by needmore »

Better late than never? Or are they just really early? They probably will finish where you live but be shorter than May shoots would have been, unless of course they get tons of rain.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
Saklo

Post by Saklo »

Hi Fred, it's interesting to learn you have runners shooting so far out of season. I just got a little taste of something similar from a clumper: Back in September during some exchange here about "nana" varieties, I brought home a little propagule (presumably a Quail) and put it in the ground Oct. 21, and I was glad to see it putting up its first little juvie culm that same morning, being as it was so late in the year for that.

Well, three days back on Thanksgiving it surprised me with a second one (hard up against the mother culm of the division). I expected I'd be waiting until late spring to see any more action out of it. It's gaining an inch per day so far, so I think it will come through despite its odd trajectory. The weather here in S. Florida has been rather average lately for rainfall and temps, with a few more cooler stretches than some recent out-of-whack autumns.
BabyNana2ndshoot.jpg
fredgpops
35 miles S. of San Jose

Post by fredgpops »

The shooting of bambusa plants starts in late fall and early winter in my zone. The tops get burned when the temps get in the 20's. Rgds
fredgpops
35 miles S. of San Jose

Post by fredgpops »

Temps are in the high 70's, much higher than normal and predictions temps will remain above average. New shoots may be triggered by the temps. That would mean I missed a shooting season. What would cause this? Lack of rain?
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

Lack of rain.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com