How to train Bambusa oldhamii?

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

Trixie
Location info: 0

How to train Bambusa oldhamii?

Post by Trixie »

Should I prune out selected new shoots to shape & direct growth of the b. oldhamii?

My goal is to create a 25' screen in a relatively narrow space, with most of the leaves above 5 feet. In November, I planted a 24" box of Bambusa oldhamii with 8-12' culms, between the west side of a 6' fence and a stepping stone path. The first shoot appeared 2 weeks ago, a husky, 1.75" diameter culm that is now over 3' tall. It was followed by 2 other nicely located husky shoots.

This morning, 2 new shoots appeared within a few inches of the first shoot, and closer to the stepping stone path than I would like. I am not pleased with their location, and I would prefer the plants energy go into the other 3 culms that are well placed.

Should I cut out those two new shoots, or would that damage the health of the plant?
What is the best way to prune bamboo shoots & culms, especially b. oldhamii?
There is a old skinny, yellowing culm in the clump that appears to be dying back. Is it safe for the plant if I cut out that yellowing culm now, or should I only prune culms in a particular season?
Anything I can do at this time to maximize the height of the new culms, beyond keeping them well watered and fertilized?

Thanks for your advice!
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Re: How to train Bambusa oldhamii?

Post by needmore »

Greetings, if it were mine, I would not do anything, I don't like to mess with a young bamboo and prefer to let them do their thing unless the shoots that you do not like are really in the way. If your plant has the energy to push all of the shoots I'd let them go and I would not cut the yellow culm until these new ones are leafed out, and not even then unless it does not look healthy.

I have some now that I'd like to groom but they are not a year old so I'm leaving the sloppy look for now as I don't want to interrupt them.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
Trixie

Post by Trixie »

Thank you for your experienced advice!
webgator

Post by webgator »

The only way to train bamboo to hopefully entice it to grow in one direction I would think is to continuously root prune in the side you don't want new growth to appear.

That being said, on my Bambusa emiensis viridiflavus and Bambusa textilis gracilis, I have a tone of new shoots that are popping up in the sections that I took divisions from. So not sure the validity of my theory.

I know 20+ years ago when I was first getting into bamboo Roy Rogers in Tampa used a double stack, both high and wide, which seemed to keep his Gracilis in check on one side.

To answer your other question, yes, you can abort a shoot that is growing without damaging the rest of the plant. This is done all the time, especially by those that harvest shoots for eating.

As with most things, trial and error to find what works may be in store
Someday maybe I'll find a bamboo my wife likes...in the meantime I'll keep planting more!

My Bamboo Pics
Bamboo Propagation Info
Trixie

Post by Trixie »

Thank you - I really appreciate your sharing your experience!
webgator

Post by webgator »

webgator wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:33 am
I know 20+ years ago when I was first getting into bamboo Roy Rogers in Tampa used a double stack, both high and wide, which seemed to keep his Gracilis in check on one side.
Sorry, left out some words....

Should've been "double stack of 12x12 patio blocks"
Someday maybe I'll find a bamboo my wife likes...in the meantime I'll keep planting more!

My Bamboo Pics
Bamboo Propagation Info
Trixie

Post by Trixie »

2 Follow on question: How to entice a b. oldhamii to spread in a specific direction?

The two b. oldmamii in my original post grew happily in its first year, shooting up a 8 new culms of 20-25'. I had planted the bamboo next to a patio with a concrete slab, and now I realize I want the plant to spread into that area. I removed the concrete 2 weeks ago, and dug in some compost and watered the new bed, and covered with bark mulch.

Is there anything I can do to encourage the plant to grow into that area? Or is steady moisture on that side my best and only way to attract the plant?

On the opposite side, where I do not the plant to spread, should I limit the water to discourage root and culm shoots?

Here in the SF Bay Area, all summer water is through irrigation, so I have some control of where water is applied. (Although no control over what my neighbor does on their side of the fence!)
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

Hi Trixie, the watering/feeding in the direction you want it to go is a solid plan, you might also consider putting down some of the heavier concrete pavers along the side that you do not want the spread, that might help, I think somewhere on this site is a post from Roy Rogers regarding the use of pavers like this.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com