Flowering cycles for Rubro, Bissetti and Yellow Groove

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

grover
Location info: 0

Flowering cycles for Rubro, Bissetti and Yellow Groove

Post by grover »

Hi, I started growing in 2017, and my small grove is just starting to establish itself. I am growing it primarily as a winter forage for livestock to reduce my feed costs.

I have Rubro, Bissetti and considering adding yellow groove.

I am looking for information about the flowering schedule for each of these species. My understanding is they basically die off after flowering and I do not want to lose my entire crop in one year. But if I do lose it, I at least would like to know when to expect it to happen. Do any of these species have a known pattern of X number of years between flowering? If so, does anyone know when they flowered last? Is there a database with this kind of information anywhere? These are well-known species but I have not found anything.

Thanks!
dependable

Re: Flowering cycles for Rubro, Bissetti and Yellow Groove

Post by dependable »

I'm not aware of any recent or recorded mass flowering events for any of those. Occasionally someone here will post about about a stresses Aureosulcata(yellow groove) type doing some flowering, but not mass kill off event.

A few Phyllostachys I'm aware of that have flowered are some of the P nigra types(henon & nigra), P flexiosa and P arcana.
grover

Re: Flowering cycles for Rubro, Bissetti and Yellow Groove

Post by grover »

Thanks Dependable! It seems nobody out there actually keeps track of this. Odd, in my opinion.