New to bamboo, already having problems

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

Beachgurl
Location info: 0

New to bamboo, already having problems

Post by Beachgurl »

Hi. I'm new and having problems already. I'm wondering if this is a overwatering problem. The young leaves are pale and the older Ieaves are developing brown tips.. I included a attached picture of an recent planted emerald clumper, in ground 15 gal.... My well water PH is high at 7.8. My dry soil PH is 6.5.. My wet soil PH is 6.5.. I use arborist wood chips to mulch and a polyon product to fertilize. I have been running irrigation 30min at night. I can provide more details. Thanks Mel.
Attachments
20210405_081146.jpg
fredgpops
Location: plus 700ft in the Santa Cruz Mtns, 8 miles from the Pacific
35 miles S. of San Jose

Re: New to bamboo, already having problems

Post by fredgpops »

30 minutes of water: daily? 30 minutes for one day for one plant is too much. RGds
Beachgurl

Post by Beachgurl »

fredgpops wrote:30 minutes of water: daily? 30 minutes for one day for one plant is too much. RGds
Yup 30 minutes a day with 10gph emitters.... There is alot of conflicting information on watering bamboo. From "deep water everyday",somewhere else I've read, "wait until the leaves curl" ... I've shut the timers off and going to wait until the soil drys some.
pokenei

Post by pokenei »

Is this a new plantation? If so, it's not a surprise. It may just be transplant shock as the roots have not adapted to the new soil. That said, I would reduce the watering to once every 2 to 3 days depending on how wet the soil is.