Bambusa malingensis and coming freeze

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

kasparguy
Location info: 0

Bambusa malingensis and coming freeze

Post by kasparguy »

I was a member, gosh 2005/2006. Back then I ended up deciding on three varieties to plant in my back yard, Textilis, Malengensis and Gigantochloa atroviolacea.

Sadly, my Gigantochloa was lost in an unusually cold winter in 2009. My textilis and malengensis have been doing well. The Malingensis has been amazing. Thanks to the polar vortex, Our low for Monday is expected to be 15 degrees. I'm a bit worried about the Malingensis only being rated as hardy down to 21. Should I be worried? or only if the the low drops for too long?

Daniel
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Re: Bambusa malingensis and coming freeze

Post by needmore »

Daniel, I've never grown B malingensis but yes, I would be concerned about it and the B textilis with 15F on the way.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
kasparguy

Post by kasparguy »

oh no. They've dropped the low even lower, to 10 or 11 degrees, which is even below the Textilis' 15 degree hardy rating. :(
marcat
Location info: 28

Post by marcat »

How did your malingensis fare? I live down the coast in Seadrift and all my clumpers are hard hit including my malingensis. Even the multiplex varietys are hurt bad. Going to have to wait and see what will recover.
MarCat
Glen

Post by Glen »

marcat wrote:How did your malingensis fare? I live down the coast in Seadrift and all my clumpers are hard hit including my malingensis. Even the multiplex varietys are hurt bad. Going to have to wait and see what will recover.
MarCat
This was definitely one for the record books :shock:! All my clumping bamboos are brown. Only the B. multiplex forms have a little green on them, and they don't have much. It will be very interesting to see what things look like by mid August. I know there will be lots of small shoots to dig for propagation purposes :?!
needmore

Post by needmore »

Glen I wonder if your running forms had enough of a chill to size up a bit this spring?
Glen

Post by Glen »

Brad,

That storm was a very brief spell in an otherwise extremely mild winter, so I don't think it will have a large impact on the runners. But if there is a noticeable effect, I'll be sure to report it!
needmore

Post by needmore »

Just curious if the ground freeze at the surface could have any impact whatsoever?
Glen

Post by Glen »

That's a good question. In my immediate area, it did not get cold enough to freeze even a crust on the surface of the soil...I did check. But the northern parts of metro Houston may have. I'm sure Austin was cold enough.