Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

dwd84
Location info: 0

Potential problem with bissetii in containers

Post by dwd84 »

Hi everyone!

I am looking for some advice so thought I would seek some experts :D

I purchased 4 Phyllostachys Bissetii bamboo to act as a screen. I've planted them in large containers that have organic compost in. Over the course of the past 10 days I've noticed considering yellowing of the leaves and leaf drop and I am concerned this is going to get worse.

I have contacted the supplier and they told me:

'Bamboo need at least two litres of water a day, you cannot over water, and I would suggest the leaf drop is due to not enough water. They really will not need feeding every week as they are already well established plants.'

Is this correct?

They get full sun until about 3pm every day. It is slightly windy where they are placed. I am making sure they are well watered everyday. I've attached a photo. As you can see the yellowing is occurring more on the left hand side where the bamboo is more exposed.

Any ideas? What am I doing wrong? Or is this completely normal?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

https://i.imgur.com/eSh1TTa.jpg
Alan_L
Location info: 81

Re: Potential problem with bissetii in containers

Post by Alan_L »

To me looks normal -- bamboo drops a lot of leaves every year.

If you don't see the still-green leaves rolling up, then you probably don't need to water more. A water-stressed plant will roll its leaves.
dependable
Location info: 0

Re: Potential problem with bissetii in containers

Post by dependable »

I agree that those look OK. Aside from normal leaf drop, there is often yellowing or thinning of leaves after transplant. They may also shed some leaves if the density of planting is increased. If the pots had a little room around them, this would be less of a factor.

Your potential problem in long run is bissetii will become root bound and decline after a few years in those containers unless divided.

I would also advise nursery not to advise people they can not over water, it can and has been done.(never underestimate the overzealous, well meaning customer) But you are OK to water heavily this time of year, as long as plants have adequate drainage, ie not in standing water. You want growing medium to be moist to touch most of time, but not soggy.