Bambusa Textilis Gracilis Troubleshooting

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

ChelleC
Location info: 0

Bambusa Textilis Gracilis Troubleshooting

Post by ChelleC »

Hello, I found your forum searching for help with my Bambusa Textilis Gracilis. I purchased 4, 5 gallon pots from a grow nursery in San Juan Capistrano, CA, 2 weeks ago today, I live just 30 miles away but over the hill on the inland side in Lake Elsinore, CA.  I'm in zone 9b and I planted in the ground the day I brought them home.  I bought them specifically to hide my yard from my neighbors new second story addition.  It gets extremely hot here and my plants are in full sun.  Two were older plants with more shoots and very root bound, they both had one new shoot started and one has started 2 new shoots.  The other 2 were younger with only 1 good shoot on each, not root bound.  The younger 2 are struggling a bit, I'm seeing leaf die off and I'm worried they might not make it.  I planted in grow mulch, fertilized with 10-10-10, and set up an irrigation line for consistent water, watering at 8pm and 4am for 6 minutes each time, but have watched throughout the day to make sure if I see leaf curl I water by hand. I did have leaf curl on one young and one of the older plants, but watered them immediately and within 30 minutes the leaves relaxed. I'm not sure if the leaves are turning because of sun burn or stress from the move from a cool coastal to a hotter environment, or if there is another problem.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I really need these to survive, otherwise we will be living in a fishbowl, the new addition can see in every room in my house and my whole yard and pool.  Here are some pictures, https://photos.app.goo.gl/MbXpdBCk9m3nB2GB8 these are taken right after watering, it does not stay this wet all day.   
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Re: Bambusa Textilis Gracilis Troubleshooting

Post by needmore »

Greetings, I don't see anything too alarming yet but you see change so it is good to keep an eye on them - stick your finger down in that soil and make sure it's not too wet, or too dry for that matter but again, sometimes leaves look like that when the bamboo is too wet.

Is it possible that they are getting more sun now than where they came from and are just a bit shocked?
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
ChelleC

Re: Bambusa Textilis Gracilis Troubleshooting

Post by ChelleC »

Thank you Brad, Yes they are getting more sun for sure, and at least a 20 to 30 degree increase in heat. I'm hoping it is just a little shock and they will pull out of it. But wanted to reach out and ask ppl that know way more than me to make sure.