Reading Bamboo Leaves and Dead Canes

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

bayarea41
Location info: 0

Reading Bamboo Leaves and Dead Canes

Post by bayarea41 »

Couple questions-

1) I have a brown cane that appears dead, but is still green at the bottom. https://imgur.com/a/ppTjHB3 Will it grow next spring, or is it just dead?

2) Can the leaves really tell you much about watering needs? I've seen lots of different info:

-If leaves are curling sideways (lengthwise) this means your bamboo is stressed and not getting enough water.".
-They will curl into themselves if its dry.
-Over watering the leaves of a bamboo will curl into themselves.
-If tips of leaves are turning brown, it's too much watering.
-If leaves are drooping, bamboo is getting too much water.

On my oldhamii potted, I have leaves with burnt/brown tips, some all yellow, some curled sideways, some have the tips curled. A bit of everything.... nothing clear cut to me. I have not watered it in 7 days now, and it looks the same.
springtimeshoots

Re: Reading Bamboo Leaves and Dead Canes

Post by springtimeshoots »

The culm is a goner.

Generally leaf curling does indicate a lack of watering but it's not always true. Like my Moso will leaf curl no matter how much water I feed it if it's painfully hot outside. Perhaps a survival mechanism during stressful events?

Not sure about the browning tips. I have a nigra grove and by the end of the summer they are almost always brown. I hear it's a common occurrence with Nigra.
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

springtimeshoots wrote:The culm is a goner.

Generally leaf curling does indicate a lack of watering but it's not always true. Like my Moso will leaf curl no matter how much water I feed it if it's painfully hot outside. Perhaps a survival mechanism during stressful events?

Not sure about the browning tips. I have a nigra grove and by the end of the summer they are almost always brown. I hear it's a common occurrence with Nigra.

Agree!
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

As already mentioned, some bamboos will wilt during hot days, no matter what you do. The only thing that works is constant misting of its leaves. As long as they stay wet, it won't wilt, but that can lead to other, even more severe issues.