Growing Bamboo in the Mountains of Southern California

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

Kaja
Location info: 0

Growing Bamboo in the Mountains of Southern California

Post by Kaja »

Can anyone tell me what bamboo I can grow the mountains of Southern California? I live in Big Bear Lake, CA and we normally get snow from about November through April--although the snow does not start sticking around until December and maybe into March. Our lows at night get into the 20's usually, but can get down to the teens and even the single digits but rarely. I am looking for a bamboo as a screen on the back of our property by the fence to block out the view and for privacy. I would like to grow one that will only get to about 8 to 10 feet or have the ability to keep it at this height without too much trouble. Our soil is mainly clay with organic matter in it. I also mulch all my plants to keep the ground insulating during the winter. I tried our Southern California chapter of the Bamboo society, but was told to look at their list of bamboo with temps., etc. What I really would like is for individual input since going by lists can be deceiving. I could also just find out that I will not be able to grow bamboo up here, but hopefully not. So, any input at all would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!! :D
Hollenback

Re: Growing Bamboo in the Mountains of Southern California

Post by Hollenback »

Are you looking for a clumping or running bamboo? You will have a wider selection of plants if you will control a running bamboo. For clumpers look at plants in the genus Fargesia. http://www.bambooweb.info/BrowseSSL.php ... &Button=GO

For running bamboos you have a larger selection such as P. bissetii 'Dwarf': http://www.bambooweb.info/ShowPictures2 ... ch=AND&s=0

When looking at the heights listed in the ABS species list remember that that is the height in its native climate and you might not get that. Also you can top the bamboo to the height you want. (within reason. I would not want to top a 70 foot bamboo to 10 feet :lol: )

I am raising bamboo where the low temps drop below 0 every year so you should have no problem.
:)

Bill
fredgpops
Location: plus 700ft in the Santa Cruz Mtns, 8 miles from the Pacific
35 miles S. of San Jose

Bamboo for high SC Mtns

Post by fredgpops »

Recommend you try Chusquea gigantea, a mountain bamboo from South
America. It's a hearty clumping bamboo that can go down to zero deg F.
It can get to 25ft tall under good conditions. Not sure how it will do
if you get heavy snow fall. I am growing it in N. California and it is doing extremely good plus I like the look of it. Check with Gib Cooper, Tradewinds Bamboo gib@bamboodirect.com for his advice on how well it will do in the snow. He may have some other good suggestions as well.
Rgds - Fred Irvine, Scotts Valley, Ca