Upstate NY: bamboo with names that sound like "delicious"?

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

Crystal
Location info: 0

Upstate NY: bamboo with names that sound like "delicious"?

Post by Crystal »

Hi! I've been looking at lists of bamboo types and one detail that doesn't seem to get mentioned much is whether a particular variety is good for eating. Being in Zone 5b (2012 map) means that our temperatures can get down to the -20F to -10F range. Given climate change and a property that is pretty well protected from wind, I'm thinking of planting Phyllostachys nuda in a metal trough. But, I'm not sure. I don't see any names that sound like "delicious"...

Do you have any recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

Crystal
Tarzanus

Re: Upstate NY: bamboo with names that sound like "delicious

Post by Tarzanus »

Phyllostachys dulcis
Crystal

Post by Crystal »

I saw dulcis, but it doesn't grow in zone 5. :(
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

The Phy aureosulcata forms and Phy bissetii all have edible shoots, I've eaten them raw and they have a nice flavor but are slightly astringent. I believe I have a photo of some freshly harvested Bissetii shoots on my webpage. I would not describe them as delicious, but edible and tatsy. Phy nuda has nice shoots also but it never lived up to hardiness expectations for me. I think in your climate you need to expect annual dieback with a spring of lots of new shoots so I think you can grow for spring shoots but don't expect large diameters nor evergreen. In mild years you'll be OK but be prepared for frequent setbacks in winter.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
Crystal

Post by Crystal »

I got a pm from someone and the system says that I can't reply and I can't send new messages because my registration is too new. So, I'll respond as soon as the bambooweb system allows it.
Alan_L
Location info: 81

Post by Alan_L »

Remember that planting anything in a pot above ground the rule of thumb is one zone colder. So a z5 plant in a pot might not survive a z5 winter, but a z4 plant would.