Bamboo Source

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

mountainbamboonut
Location info: 0

Bamboo Source

Post by mountainbamboonut »

Friends, I haven't been on a while after selling our last place loaded with bamboo (lucky new buyer.) I'm starting over now and in a more difficult climate in North Idaho. Needless to say nobody really grows bamboo here. I've seen a few established stands of spectabilis and perhaps a nice vivax stand but nobody knows about the Boo here. I would really like to get some spectabilis and bissetti in the ground here to try and see if I can get it established. It will be a challenge :/ I've always bought bamboo locally, dug it up from neighbors etc. Can some of the experts here Kindly recommend a place online to order some spectabilis and bissetti to help me get started? Thanks so much!
Cooper12
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Re: Bamboo Source

Post by Cooper12 »

Bamboo Garden Nursery in Oregon has those generally. We also moved to Idaho. In the summer there is a place in Horseshoe Bend called Idaho Bamboo that may have it as well.
Jason Floyd
Hangtown Farms

Emmett Idaho
Zone 7A
Potato country
mountainbamboonut

Wow you too huh? Yes I've been by that nursery in Horseshoe Bend actually! I'm hesitant to buy online, but maybe I shouldn't be. All the best to you and thanks for the advice!
Alan_L
Location info: 81

Post by Alan_L »

Definitely better to buy from a nursery in a climate as close to yours as possible IMO, either in person or by mail order.
Cooper12

Post by Cooper12 »

Yeah my bamboo garden stuff has done well and everything I brought out here has as well. I am more focused on clumpers now since I have a yard but we hope to buy land soon. I still have most mine in containers
Jason Floyd
Hangtown Farms

Emmett Idaho
Zone 7A
Potato country
mountainbamboonut

Alan, is it true that there is a difference, that the plant itself change? In my case being in a northern climate near the Canadian border. Are you saying that phy. vivax for example would be different in my region than say arid Arizona for example?
Cooper12

Post by Cooper12 »

generally its because the plant is more acclimated to the conditions. I have found the climate close enough however even know it is colder here the freeze periods are the same.
All my stuff moved has done great.
Jason Floyd
Hangtown Farms

Emmett Idaho
Zone 7A
Potato country