Lama Temple

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

jpluddite
Location info: 0

Lama Temple

Post by jpluddite »

Howdy folks.

I've been trying to find info about Lama Temple (any variety) and haven't uncovered much, except the blurb at bamboogarden.com.

In terms of aggressiveness, how does it compare to Spectabilis? I'm in zone 6b/7a and my three-year old Spectabilis is spreading so aggressively that I may remove it. Is Lama Temple any less aggressive?

I'll appreciate any guidance ya'll can offer.
Tarzanus

Re: Lama Temple

Post by Tarzanus »

I thought Lama Temple is one of Spectabilis variations. I bought it as Phyllostachys aureosulcata Spectabilis Lamatemple 1 :mrgreen:

Aggressive as hell. It goes all around and is indestructible in the winter (for my Zone 7 climate). Usually when it poked out in the spring it made two pr three times more shoots than it's number of culms in previous season. I'm afraid it will start shooting all over the place this year. :D
johnw
Bamboo Society Membership: EBS - Germany

Post by johnw »

Tarzanus wrote:I thought Lama Temple is one of Spectabilis variations. I bought it as Phyllostachys aureosulcata Spectabilis Lamatemple

I did too (edit: sorry I knew it was an Aureocaulis type , not Spec) and now with Wufeng's post I am thoroughly confused as he listed so many LTs. We often see the one I bought listed as Lama Temple and Lama Tempel. The latter is the Dutch and German spelling of Temple and Temple is both French and English. So who registered it and under which name?

Googling Lama Temple it is a temple in Beijing. Is that to suggest anything labelled 'Lama Temp..' is really just the source or is it a valid name?
johnw coastal Nova Scotia
jpluddite

Post by jpluddite »

Hi guys. Thanks for the input.

Bamboogarden.com calls their variety Phyllostachys aureosulcata 'Lama Temple' (http://www.bamboogarden.com/Phyllostach ... ple%27.htm).

They said that it's the smallest of the aureosulcatas, with mature height about 15 feet (in their setting where they start taking divisions before the grove is mature). At any rate, they said that theirs is about half the size of their spectabilis.

Tarzanus, how old is your lama temple and how big is it? How deep are the rhizomes?

Thanks,
johnw

Post by johnw »

jp

No green stripes on the one in the Bamboo Garden pic. Seems P. aureosulcata 'Lama Temple' (Auroecaulis type) might better describe it in their catalogue. Where did you read the bit about the relationship to Spec and the height as on the above link they say 20-25ft and that's why I bought it, though wouldn't mind if it were 15ft.

I don't care to say what I think of their -10F rating for it.......... :evil:
jpluddite

Post by jpluddite »

johnw wrote:jp

No green stripes on the one in the Bamboo Garden pic. Seems P. aureosulcata 'Lama Temple' (Auroecaulis type) might better describe it in their catalogue. Where did you read the bit about the relationship to Spec and the height as on the above link they say 20-25ft and that's why I bought it, though wouldn't mind if it were 15ft.

I don't care to say what I think of their -10F rating for it.......... :evil:

They told me the size information in email. How old is yours? How big is it?
johnw

Post by johnw »

Got it in 2013 and it was quite small and I thought weak. In 2014 - in a 5 gallon - it shot up to 7 or 8 ft from about 3ft the previous year. The culms look to be a more matte or creamier yellow than Aureocaulis.
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

Tarzanus, how old is your lama temple and how big is it? How deep are the rhizomes?
Mine was imported from Germany in 2012. Kept it inside for the winter and planted in early 2013. It was one culm division with almost no rhizomes visible - I was afraid it will never start, but it did put out two small survivors in the summer. Culms are now (I have no idea what to expect this spring, should know soon enough though) thumb thick and approximately 3m tall. It spread around 2 meters in west to east directions (never went north), but I've seen rhizomes travel way further (2 or 3 meters long rhizomes were cut off last fall) than that. I've seen rhizomes traveling practically on the surface, and erosion during winter actually exposed many of them. I did not check much deeper, but they seem to love warm topsoil much better than harder clay soil below. :mrgreen:
We've also had A LOT of rain during last 2 years and many rhizomes ended up rotting in standing water. It is way more prone to rhizome rot than Shiroshima or japonica that are also growing near.

I can make a picture of it, but I expect to make a shitload of pictures when shooting starts anyway :)

Edit: About culm color - very bright yellow with great coloration when exposed to sun. With time they age and turn somewhat more dark yellow with almost a tiny bit of orange-ish color.
ShmuBamboo

Post by ShmuBamboo »

Lama Temple from BG is a deeper color variation of Phy. aureosulcata Aureocaulis. It is said to be smaller than Aureocaulis and a more golden color, although I was hard pressed to tell the difference between it and my Aureocaulis. It does not have any green stripes like Spectabilis or a green sulcus. I had one from BG but it died this year. I do not know why. I never loose bamboos that size. It had some rhizomes running out of the bottom of the 7 gallon pot that it was in, and it seemed OK. Then it croaked. The only thing I can figure is that a vole may have found its way into the pot and eaten all the rhizome eyes. I found a vole in a potted Alata this year that was doing that. I fed it to my cat. I had the Lama Temple for several years. That is now the only type of Phy. aureocaulis that I do not have. It is not different enough from Aureocaulis for me to want more of it. Harbin Inversa is my favorite of the Phy. aureosulcatas. Highly variable in color and stripes, smaller than my other Phy. aureosulcatas, does not run too much in the ground, and is a prize bamboo specimen here second only to my Phy. vivax Aureocaulis.
Happy trails...
jpluddite

Post by jpluddite »

Hey Shmu.

Harbin Inversa is my favorite bamboo (so far). Had your BG lama temple survived, do you have a sense for how big it would have been compared to the Inversas?
wufeng
Location: My plants grows in Prague and another 3 places in The Czech republic, zone 6.

Post by wufeng »

jpluddite wrote:Howdy folks.

I've been trying to find info about Lama Temple (any variety) and haven't uncovered much, except the blurb at bamboogarden.com.
Supplier for Lama Temple clones is F. Vaupel, Germany. Informations about Lama Tempel (Lama Temple) clones you can find on his website here.

http://translate.googleusercontent.com/ ... -W2Pq5LJMg

On the left (column) you can find another clones.
jpluddite wrote: Bamboogarden.com calls their variety Phyllostachys aureosulcata 'Lama Temple' (http://www.bamboogarden.com/Phyllostach ... ple%27.htm).

Thanks,
Bamboogarden wrote: This rare cultivar of P. aureosulcata has a brighter gold color than the similar P. aureosulcata 'Aureocaulis' . It also seems to have a shorter overall height, with shorter nodes. The sunward side of the new culms in late spring turn a brilliant cherry red color for a couple months. Culm sheaths are more pale and pink than other P. aureosulcata. We have been growing this plant for several years and now, as it has reach a respectable height, we can finally see the subtle differences compared to the more common P. aureosulcata 'Aureocaulis' .
The bright colors of this bamboo make it a very attractive plant and seem to shed light in any area. It can prosper in shade, though not as fast and with out the red culms in spring. Color looks best with about 3-5 hours of direct sun in the morning hours.
I think, bamboogardens Lama Temple could be identical with Phyllostachys aureosulcata aureocaulis Lama Tempel. My plant is directly from F. Vaupel, Germany. Has brighter color then "normal" aureocaulis, in spring on the sun turn to red color - it is the same like in bamboogarden description. What is different - my plant has occasionally green stripes on stems.
jpluddite wrote: They said (bamboogarden) that it's the smallest of the aureosulcatas, with mature height about 15 feet
My plant is now about 20 ft tall, so it is second difference, but i think it could depend on locality.

green stripes

red color (only in sunny place)

more photos

I am engaged in pages about hardy bamboos in Czech language - http://bambusy.info/.
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

Yeah, that's the one I have. It's Phy. aureosulcata Spectabilis and not aureocaulis. At least I think so. :)

Got it from Germany.
johnw

Post by johnw »

So no one has offered proof Lama Temple or Tempel is a valid name. As only a source it therefore should be written as P. aureosulcata '.....whatever....... ' (ex Lama Temple garden). That's my take.
wufeng
Location: My plants grows in Prague and another 3 places in The Czech republic, zone 6.

Post by wufeng »

Tarzanus wrote:Yeah, that's the one I have. It's Phy. aureosulcata Spectabilis and not aureocaulis. At least I think so. :)

Got it from Germany.
I think, it is very easy to distinguish which one you have. If your have green sulcus - you have spectabilis, if sulcus is yellow - you have aureocaulis.
I am engaged in pages about hardy bamboos in Czech language - http://bambusy.info/.
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

I know. I meant that I think it's Lama Temple. :) It has green sulcus, leaf variegation and it is Spectabilis.