ABS Auction

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

needmore
Location info: 0
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

ABS Auction

Post by needmore »

Bill, I'm dying to hear of any interesting tales from the ABS conference including any auction plants that went for BIG $$$ . I told Konifer that $210 for the Parvifolia may be the cheapest price we see for the next 2-3 years. Any $1,000 plants this year? Did you buy anything? Did the 2 Kimmei & 2 Okuboi I donated bring more than the cost of shipping them?

Can you give us a preview of anything new you learned in the bamboo 'control' session?
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
bambooweb
Site Admin
Location info: 1

ABS Auction

Post by bambooweb »

Brad,
The parvifolia was one of the more expensive plants. I don't remember anything over $300 this year. There were 73 plants in the auction and a number of silent auction items but they took in only $7000.
The plants that Robert Saporito sent arived at the same time as Rita and sat in the post office for a week so they did not look very good.
Adam Turtle was the auctioneer again this year and you could tell he wanted the parvifolia because he put in an opening bid without a description of the plant. Adam and I had the price over $100 before they stoped us and insisted on a description for the plant :) After Ned described the plant a couple of other people got in on the bidding. Adam dropped out first then I did and they kept bidding it up. I think Jim Bonner was the one that ended up with it. When I saw the plant on Friday it had exposed rhizomes and they had put ice in the pot to cool it down. On Saturday they had filled the pot with soil so it looked a lot better.
I think the plant will show up in retail sooner than you think. I was aproched after the auction by two other people that said they could get me the plant and I had not known that either of them had the plant. I will have the plant in the spring :D

I do not know what happened to your second Kimmei and Okuboi. They were on the list as for BOTA but were crossed out :?

The other plants that I was looking at quickly went past the retail cost that I looked up before the auction. The rare tropicals went for cheap prices but I could not afford the 100 foot tall heated greenhouse to keep them in.

I should have bid on the Chusquea delacutula but I do not know how it would do as a house plant. I think it would look good as a window screen :)

I will start a new thread on James and Ian's control method.

Bill
needmore
Location info: 0

auction

Post by needmore »

Bill, that is good news on the Parvifolia and even better news if indeed Jim Bonner ended up with it. He tends to keep prices at a sane level, even on newer introductions. Did you run across any Kwangsiensis offers as well? Your guy in the NW has never replied to my message about his. This one is not on my import list, but if I find that I have room for 1 more, I guess I'll bring it back from Jos.

I'm surprised that some of the bamboo did not fetch top dollar but most of the rarer ones were Robert's plants so maybe they looked pretty shabby. I recall he had Lako or Atroviolacea among them.

Having just brought 5 -25 gallon pots of bamboo and 4 -15 gallon bananas into our bedroom for the winter, I think that you did well to avoid buying anything that can not overwinter outdoors!
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com