Bamboo Tunnels aka Bamboo Cathedral

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

bambambooboo
Location info: 0

Bamboo Tunnels aka Bamboo Cathedral

Post by bambambooboo »

I searched quickly but didn't find immediately a dedicated Bamboo Tunnel thread so thought I'd start one.

Here's a whole gaggle of them, um, I mean a google of'm.

https://www.google.com/search?q=bamboo+ ... 80&bih=534

Repost your favorite if you'd like. Some of those are just incredible.

How could anyone not love this:

Anyway, here's the bamboo tunnel I've been growing for about four or five years now (posted prior on a previous thread). You can see the cathedral ceiling just starting to form and the walls filling in nicely since that pic taken...

But here's a gif I recently made of walking through a section of the tunnel. (I can't seem to post gif directly so to view animated gif just click the link provided below)

http://i828.photobucket.com/albums/zz20 ... 7479d2.gif
"Without bamboo, the land dies." ~~saying
terrabamboo

Re: Bamboo Tunnels aka Bamboo Cathedral

Post by terrabamboo »

Do you have to spray the ground with roundup or any weedkiller or manually remove any ivy/plant-ground-cover to make it look so clean?
Terra Bamboo
300 acre Bamboo Plantation Project
Focusing on Henon, Moso, Robert Young, Rubro, Vivax and Fargesia
bambambooboo

Post by bambambooboo »

I very minimally poison as required in mulched areas so as not to disturb the mulch barrier by pulling weeds through it.

The tunnel though is very thickly mulched--both imported and self-mulched by both the boo and the pines--and I do both pull and poison some in there but less and less each year. Seriously, hardly at all. I don't like to poison so I'm real careful with that. Mostly now the only thing coming up is an invasive tree, some sort of cherry or something, I forget what it's called, which grows from extended root systems. I've got that about 95% under control compared to when I first bought here. My original idea for the place was a tunnel running the perimeter of about an acre and so I brought in truckloads of mulch, and I continue to maintain that whenever a tree guy is in the area. Also i harvest pine needles falling on the open areas where I've lawn. I've left two places hidden behind boo up front for tree guys to easily dump, convenient for them and works out well for me to pitchfork and wheelbarrow it into the gardens.

Within the clumps themselves, the boo stays very clean of weeds. It puts down such a mat of roots that I doubt a weed could get through it. I also notice in the numerous divisions I've done not a single bug inside those roots. No bugs, no weeds, boo is self-mulching messy yet clean. Such is the paradox of boo.
"Without bamboo, the land dies." ~~saying
foxd
Location info: 21
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by foxd »

Before a tree was uprooted and went crashing through the area, I had a tunnel through some bamboo that was much admired. All it took to maintain it was driving a riding lawn mower through it every time I mowed.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.