semi. yashadake kimmie

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

Gene
Location info: 0

semi. yashadake kimmie

Post by Gene »

I was wondering if anyone is growing this in the southeast and whether it is an aggressive spreader.I have fastuosa and it has been easy to contain but have heard that okuboi is very agressive.Since these are all semiarundinarias I wondered what the difference was in growth habit.
needmore
Location info: 0
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

kimmei

Post by needmore »

Gene, I'm not in the SE but even in my climate this is probably the most aggressive bamboo that I have. So much so that I have started to plant it for erosion control. It is spreading faster than the Okuboi and it is thus far the only bamboo that I've had to rhizome prune to keep in bounds. It produces tons of culms and runs like the wind, I always have some dug but there is more of it than I can handle so it gets the rhizome pruning.

I would assume that this is not environmental and that it would behave in a similar fashion in the SE.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
Iowaboo
Location info: 32

Post by Iowaboo »

I have heard Brad comment on gardenweb on how vigorous kimmei is, so that is on the top of my 2006 list to get next year. I have many gullies that are getting bigger every year with farming in the area and am hoping to add certain species of plants and check dams to stop the loss of soil.
Mike McG
Location info: 71

SYK

Post by Mike McG »

I agree. Here in TX it also appears it will be a fast spreading bamboo. Only had it in the ground one year but it already appears to run fast with very small culms so far. Have to see what next year brings.

Mike near Brenham TX