Moderator: needmore

BooKing
Location info: 0

KR 5288-???

Post by BooKing »

Hello all:

Any info on this bamboo? Is it in Borinda? Hardiness? Pics? :?:

thank you
Last edited by BooKing on Fri Feb 03, 2006 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Markj

Post by Markj »

Hi,

It?s either a Borinda or Fargesia, I hope this new genus will stick , the evidence for splitting Fargesia seems quite compelling. I saw this listed at the ABS auction , so someone must be importing these new collections , perhaps it won?t be long before their widely available !

It will be quite hardy as this one was collected at 3500-M in Tibet, two species were introduced from this area Kr 5287 and 5288, these numbers can get quite confusing after a while but the two are very different, the larger and quicker growing one is 5287 which is much darker in culm and leaf. The 5288 is slower growing but the culms have longer necks giving a more open look, it?s also said to be a lighter green( both look the same to me though).

I have both growing here , though they are still young having been in the ground two seasons only, the growth is quite amazing far better than any Phyllostachys growing here. All the cultivated plants from the Keith Rushford collection are yet to mature and show their true potential , the original plants are planted in a university/botanical garden and are said to look stunning, clumps 5/6 foot round and 810 m tall. But have been planted in the outer reaches of the garden in mature woodland without any additional watering , the last I herd the new shoots were being attacked and eaten by squirrels , hopefully there sort this out.

Here?s a Pic of KR 5287- Two seasons from a small division

Bamboo...Please note... This plant is seriously addictive and you may lose interest in other, less rewarding plants!
BooKing

Post by BooKing »

Wow-great pictures and info. I saw this was an auction plant at the ABS that's why I wanted the information. I guess bidding on this will draw quite a crowd. :wink:

Thanks again for the response MarkJ.
Markj

Post by Markj »

Koniferkid,

How dose this auction work!, I suppose the lucky winner already has the plant , do you know who it is ?

Cheers

Mark.
Bamboo...Please note... This plant is seriously addictive and you may lose interest in other, less rewarding plants!
BooKing

Post by BooKing »

No, I don't know yet. The auction is this Saturday.I don't know where this plant came from.You guys are lucky over there getting all the "Good stuff"
while we have to drool over those pictures you post :cry:
bambooweb
Site Admin
Location info: 1
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

KR 5288-???

Post by bambooweb »

Sorry, I did not write down the price for the KR 5288, but it sounds like Ian Conner, who donated the plant, is going to be a good source for unusual varieties.

Next year there are going to be some changes it the way the auction is ran. Normally the plants are shipped to the auction site and the bidding takes place there, but next year the convention is on the big island of Hawaii and with customs and shipping that will not work. You will have to check here to find out how it is going to work when the details are worked out. :D

Bill