Decora

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

Iowaboo
Location info: 32

Decora

Post by Iowaboo »

ONline nurseries tell how this bamboo can take stresses of life such as heat,drought, and cold. I was just wondering what the bamboowebbers think about phyllostachys decora. Does anyone have experience growing this species? I was thinking about getting some, but not sure if its just hype surrounding decora; haven't really heard anyone say anything special about it in any forums.
Thuja
Location info: 0
1951: -37*F;
1996: -29*F;
2005: -10*F;
2006: -17*F;
2007: -17*F.

Post by Thuja »

I planted a small one this spring and all I can say about it so far is that it has beautiful shoots. Even the small shoots this summer had colorful, striped culm sheaths.
--Mike
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

manii decora

Post by needmore »

Last winter, the 2nd one for mine, it help up as well as anything else except Bissetii and native Gigantea, and it is in a very open planting site.

It produced a large number of culms and it runs very hard. I already have a mini-grove of it covering about 60 sq ft and I see new rhizome running well beyond. It was a large field division to start with.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
Eric Layton

Decora

Post by Eric Layton »

Hey lk,
I have decora, nuda, and the all-yellow yellow groove right next to each other (same microclimate). The decora looks fresher than the other two most of the year. It has handled our summer heat and a mild zone 6 winter better than the other two. In my opinion it really is the "beautiful bamboo". It is competing right now with glauca for my favorite all green phyllostachys. That's not a comprehensive comparison, I still don't have much experience with bissetii, dulcis, vivax, ................ but so far I like it a lot.
Eric
Iowaboo
Location info: 32

Post by Iowaboo »

Thanks everyone for the info, :wink: it sounds like worth a try in my region!