Sinobambusa tootsik Albostriata problems?

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

BooKing
Location info: 0

Sinobambusa tootsik Albostriata problems?

Post by BooKing »

I have had this growing in a container for 8 months and it looked fine then died within 1 week. No overwatering or sudden temperature change occurred. This mysteriously bit the bullet. Anyone else growing this or have had experience with it in containers?
boonatick

RE: Sinobambusa tootsik Albostriata problems?

Post by boonatick »

I had mine in a half wiskey barrel for a year before deciding where to put it ,it was wrapped twice around when I planted it just before last spring,,,but my non verigated tootsik has some kind of problem sisnce about a year that I never figured out ,lot of leaf lossand off color but still alive,,,maybe your s is not dead,Have you looked underground for fresh growth?
Kaylen. zone 8 borderline b.near Boerne Texas
Thuja
1951: -37*F;
1996: -29*F;
2005: -10*F;
2006: -17*F;
2007: -17*F.

Post by Thuja »

I take it that was kept in your garage over winter? I recall you saying your garage doesn't freeze, so that wouldn't be the problem. Sun? Wind? I guess you probably brought it outside recently. I don't know, with the tremendous amount of plants you grow, I doubt that's the problem either. :oops:
--Mike
BooKing

Post by BooKing »

I haven't taken it out of it's pot yet and looked at the rhizome. It may show a little sign of life. I think in one of the bamboo books it talks about this cultivar being "difficult" in a container and I remember Brad having some problems too. It's not hardy enough for me to put it in the landscape though. :cry:
Bamboo Outlaw
Location: We are less than one hour south of downtown Houston. We are located in Wild Peach, Texas located half way between Brazoria and West Columbia. Exit hwy 36 onto County Road 354. Take County Road 353 west . Go approximately 2.4 miles. We are on the left.

Post by Bamboo Outlaw »

I grow mine outside and it usually looks wonderful. I really like this one. The thing I have noticed is that it can't take the dry at all compared to most any other boo here. The leaves will turn and drop. I would think it a pot, this may be a possibility as it is harder to controll moisture. It that is the case, if will probably come back with water.
Steve Carter
Carter Bamboo
http://www.carterbamboo.com

cell (979)665-1897
Brazoria, Texas