Ganzu 2 seedlings overwintering

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

Steve in France
Location info: 0

Ganzu 2 seedlings overwintering

Post by Steve in France »

Talking to Markj the other day ,I was saying the main problem exercising my brain at the moment is how to get 22 Ganzu 2 seedlings through the winter without a greenhouse. In the end we both thought watching the Weather Forcast and taking them in and out of the house all winter would work best, Red Spider Mite is always a problem indoors and they tend to lurk then kill the plant within days .I'm interested in saving all the plants , the smallest being only 2 inches high may turn out to be the most interesting forms for a small garden, Ganzu 2 being classed at the moment as a small form of Fargesia Nitida, one never knows with Bamboos if the classification will change, as with my Yunnan 3a which is now not a Albacera.
I'd like to keep growing the Ganzu 2 in the same conditions and location to give the opertunity to compare habit and form. All 22 show different habits already, from the largest multi branched 8 inch seedling to the smallest four blade wimp.There were a couple of seeds that grew only a root or only a stem,perfectly healthy but none viable, I'm very excited about the prospect of growing something special and naming it, name will be (busy counting chickens before they hatch :D ) " Ashling Mei " named after my little girl.
Later
Steve
Markj

Post by Markj »

Steve, just a quick question are the seedlings 'red' in colour (culm) like the parent, and if so do any vary in colour.

Mark.
Bamboo...Please note... This plant is seriously addictive and you may lose interest in other, less rewarding plants!
Thuja
1951: -37*F;
1996: -29*F;
2005: -10*F;
2006: -17*F;
2007: -17*F.

Post by Thuja »

Sounds like me except I only have 3 seedlings, yet I'd still like to name them. :wink: I started the seeds early this year and then planted them outside this spring. I think I will leave them out and mulch them with straw when temps go to zero (-18*C) and below. I guess with 3 plants I don't stand much to lose if they die.
--Mike
Steve in France

Culm Colour

Post by Steve in France »

Mark the larger ones (if you call can a bamboo 6 to 8 inches tall larger :D ) are showing colour , differnt amounts on each one and different colours, colours from pink through red to purple, some plants are darker than others, all the small seedlings are still showing green.
Next year will give an indication of habit and culm colour. Mark are you thinking there maybe some cross pollination with other flowering Bamboo in your Garden ?(The seed came from Mark) I wonder how Jamie's seedlings are doing, I think he has ten.Mark is the Mother plant still alive, so there will be a possibility ofmore seed next year?
Long term project these seedlings, if we get another Posting in Hong Kong or Washington DC they may land back in your garden for safe keeping.

John if you have three then a sunny windowsill indoors would not be a bad place for them, misted and moist should keep the RSM down and the seedlings from drying out too much.
Markj

Post by Markj »

Steve, the parent looks quite happy at the moment, still quite a few leaves on it, thought no growth. Maby some new seed next year hopefully.

Mark.
Bamboo...Please note... This plant is seriously addictive and you may lose interest in other, less rewarding plants!