Fargesia nitida , Aff papyrifera (KR 4175)

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

Markj
Location info: 0

Fargesia nitida , Aff papyrifera (KR 4175)

Post by Markj »

Mike Bell gave me a bit of this try out in spring 2004, it was collected by Keith Rushford who mistakenly introduced it as F. papyrifera ( collection No. KR 4174) and as can be deduced if you read the description of that species it is a very large and upright clone , this is a form of nitida that has a culm size approaching 2.5/3cm with an almost upright habit, quite long branches giving totally different look to the normal nitida. As it's as hardy as the normal form, this larger type might be grown very well in colder areas of the USA, I'm just wondering if this plant is available yet or are there nitida forms grown under different names with other collection numbers available in the USA.

Many thanks.

Mark.
Bamboo...Please note... This plant is seriously addictive and you may lose interest in other, less rewarding plants!
Thuja
1951: -37*F;
1996: -29*F;
2005: -10*F;
2006: -17*F;
2007: -17*F.

Post by Thuja »

Surely sounds interesting. Probably Brad's heard of it but I don't think it's in the US. I wonder how it would take the heat of summer in the US. Oh boy, another one for Brad's shopping list. :shock:
--Mike
Markj

Post by Markj »

Hi there , Thuja , thanks for the reply, I think this could/might do well, It suffers no leaf curl in full uk sun, wheras the true nitida dose . But as regards to the heat you guys get , I've no idear. Got to be worth a shot though.

Markj.
Bamboo...Please note... This plant is seriously addictive and you may lose interest in other, less rewarding plants!
BooKing

Post by BooKing »

I would be happy to give it a chance in my garden...The ? is when will we be able to get it here commercially.{10years} :cry: I think we should start a Congress lobbyist group of Bambooer's...Anyone want to join me...