Himalayacalamus porcatus

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

Richard
Location info: 0

Himalayacalamus porcatus

Post by Richard »

How many people are growing this plant and where?
It seems to be able to take very high temperatures for a montane species,so far in my experience.
kstanwick
Location: Stillwater NJ z6a Sussex county. 20 minutes from the Del. Water Gap.

min temps

Post by kstanwick »

Richard...may i ask what is your climate like "down" there? curious about your min temps. -5 to -10 by me thats F not C....
Kurt Stanwick
Stillwater NJ z6a

Kurt's Garden
Markj

Post by Markj »

Hi there Richard, I'm growing this in the UK, it's bounced back quite well from last winter when -6/7 c left it looking pretty sad. All the tops of culms were killed and the plant left pretty leafless, we can get a bit colder than that here, so here's hoping for the best.

Pic.

Bamboo...Please note... This plant is seriously addictive and you may lose interest in other, less rewarding plants!
fredgpops
Location: plus 700ft in the Santa Cruz Mtns, 8 miles from the Pacific
35 miles S. of San Jose

Post by fredgpops »

I'm growing porcatus in Northern California. It came from Gib Cooper's (Tradewinds Bamboo) mother plant in Oregon. I asked Gib for a bamboo that thrived in shade and he suggested porcatus. I have had it in a very shady spot for about 2 1/2 years and it has really done good. Real nice blue culms for a few months prior to maturing. Most mountain clumpers require cool nights if they get a lot of heat. I'd give it a high recommendation - hardy and nice looking. Rgds - Fred Irvine
Richard

Post by Richard »

The climate where i am in Australia,is usually described as sub tropical.The minimum temperature would be about 4C and the max around 35C ,sometimes up to 40C.
I have had porcatus in the ground for about 6 months and in a full sun position,and although it will fold its leaves during the day,by late afternoon looks great.It has been extremely fast growing also.
Mike,Marietta,SC,z8a
zone 8a, 60 bamboo species in ground including mature size moso, Bambusa, Bashania, Borinda, Chusquea, Fargesia, Himalayacalamus, Phyllostachys, Pleioblastus, Pseudosasa, Qiongzhuea, Sasa, Sasaella, Semiarundinaria, Shibataea, Y

Post by Mike,Marietta,SC,z8a »

I'm growing it in the mountains of South Carolina where it has no problems tolerating the occasional 32c high, but gets cut back to the ground each winter when temps go below -9c. It grows back strongly each spring and makes a nice 0.5m high die-back perennial.