clumpers

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

meat
Location info: 0
sw corner of mo zone 6/7 Depends who you ask :)

clumpers

Post by meat »

Any one have any good suggestions for clumpers for lower xone 6? Preferably some black ones. I would like to put these betwerrn me and my neighbor.
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

z6 clumpers

Post by needmore »

Meat, tough row to hoe in your area and mine....sorry, no black ones, my money is on Fargesia Rufa. It seems to take the heat much better than others of the genus. My guess is that the Chusquea will not be happy there and although there are other Fargesias to consider, my early trials and the advice from others, is that Rufa can take the heat. It produces lots of culms early on but it may not get to even 8 feet for you.

You should keep in mind that the Fargesias should be grown in our area only as an ornamental. I really do not believe that they will be more than an attractive shrub, and unlikely to provide a screen as you probably would like. You are stuck with the runners my friend, for screening, if indeed that is your purpose.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
meat
sw corner of mo zone 6/7 Depends who you ask :)

Post by meat »

doh . Well not so much needed for a screen the 7' privacy fence takes care of that not to mention she has a huge ugly tree along that side that grows low limps into my yard. It would make it hare to grow a tall boo there.