The Bamboo Bug :)

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

sobrikay
Location info: 0

RE: The Bamboo Bug :)

Post by sobrikay »

I have another few Moso seedlings coming up. Some were very weak and yellow looking and several seeds that appeared as if they would come up successfuly expired.

Moreover the ones pictured above were also beginning to struggle.

I decided to take a risk and apply garden lime (ground limestone or calcium carbonate) to the potting mixes because I believe that pine bark, peat and many other ingredients are actually acidic.

I know my lawn needs lime twice a year to look its best and that grasses in general like it a bit more alkaline than not.

I applied liberal amounts to the soil and watered it in.

Still early days but they look no worse today and maybe even a little bit healthier if I'm not deceiving myself.

If this is successful I plan to put some lime powder into my other bamboos also. I think that pH may be the important issue with Moso rather than any temperature considerations.

Here's hoping.
sobrikay
Location info: 0

Post by sobrikay »

Here are some photos of how the Moso are looking today...

I think the lime has helped. I realised that a week and a half or so ago I might have used inadvertently stronger fish emulsion mix due to a change in brand. That may have resulted in the leaves looking a bit burnt and we have had some 32-38 degree celsius days here over the past week.

I'm really hoping these make it.
mantis
Location info: 22

Post by mantis »

The bamboo bug is definitely a strong little guy... I bought my first boo in Aug. '06, and am already up to 21 plants (15 different types). Every weekend a couple more go in the ground. :)

Good luck with your plants. 8)