Himalacalmus cupreus

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

Markj
Location info: 0

Himalacalmus cupreus

Post by Markj »

Hi Folks, just wondering if there's any info out there on this plant, mine here is just about to enter it's first winter, although it's described as the higest growing Himalacalamus, dose anyone know what at what Min this plant will start to suffer?

The foliage on this is real nice, with some good colour to new shoots.

fredgpops
Location: plus 700ft in the Santa Cruz Mtns, 8 miles from the Pacific
35 miles S. of San Jose

Post by fredgpops »

Altho I have many mountain clumpers, I have never have heard of this variety before. Has some charcateristics of Khasianum ref purple at node. Where did you get it? Rgds - Fred Irvine
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

Fred- I'll let markj speak for themselves, but I think they are in Europe, where the selection of montane clumpers is much broader than here. I too, have never heard of this species.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
Markj

Post by Markj »

Hi, it's a new intro from Jos V d palenhttp://www.kimmei.com/I have to say it dose look like D. Khasianum but is much smaller in all parts. It's totally unknown to me, UK summer no problem( Normal for almost all) so hoping the winter will be as well.

Many thanks.
Markj

Post by Markj »

I should of posted the collection no. and alt, will do so asap.

Markj.
Markj

Post by Markj »

Mike McG
Location info: 71

Himalayacalamus species

Post by Mike McG »

Markj, great looking bamboo. I wondered where you were. I thought you were probably in the US PNW, but the southern UK may be an even better climate for the various Himalayacalamus species. I can't even keep Moso alive here in TX. Watering twice a week just isn't enough. I guess we always want what we can't have. :)

Mike near Brenham TX
needmore

europe bamboo

Post by needmore »

I'm going to see Jos the last week of November to import new species into the US. I'll be standing there looking at his beautiful, not yet introduced into the US Fargesias, Borinda, Himalayacalamus etc. but I will not bother bringing any of them back. They absolutely would not survive here and I just don't have room nor money to bring back species that I can't grow here. At least I'll be able to see & touch them while there!
Markj

Post by Markj »

HI , Jos's place can get a tad cold so he's limited to fairly hardy stuff, there's some great stuff growing in his garden though. One that has taken off in the Uk is the unknown 'Shanghi 3' reckoned to be one of the best cold hardy ,large growing bamoo out there. Plants here in the Uk are still small but proving extremly vigorus, though they won't be tested by cold, just our grey/cold summer :roll:

What's on the shoping list, I thought you'd have all the best one's growing already.

Markj.
needmore

da shopping list

Post by needmore »

Here is the shopping list. As far as I know none of the species are in the US. Some of these, Jos does not have, but he does have most of them. I would have added Kwangsiensis which is here but very rare, and Parvifolia, which I already have but would like another, but the space & cost factors will make me wait until the are more common here.

Arundinaria tecta 'Omega'?
?
Phyllostachys aurita
P. Concava
P. fimbriligula
P. Hispida
P. glabrata
P. nigella
P. nigra fulva
P. lufoshanensis
P. pinyanensis
P. primotina
P. Prominens
P. rigida
P. rutila
P. Shanghai 3
P. varioauriculata
P. virella
P. yunhoensis
?
Pleioblastus altiligulus
Pl. kodzumae
Pl. maculatus
Pl. solidus
Pl. yixingensis
?
Sasa quelpartensis
Sasa tokugawana

I hear that it is tougher than ever to clear customs with bamboo and I am mentally prepared to have everything confiscated and destroyed, as happened last time with my friends' import. Fungus, insects and other microbial stuff is what they look for and usually find.

Oh well, it is my once in a lifetime attempt at this.
fredgpops
35 miles S. of San Jose

Post by fredgpops »

Didn't see Amp. scandens on V.D. Palen's web site. Brad - I can give you some to trade Palen if he is interested and you are willing to haul it to Europe. Would like a pc of cupreus down the road. Rgds - Fred Irvine
needmore

A Scandens

Post by needmore »

Fred, I suspect that it is too cold for the Scandens in Valkenswaard. I have offered to bring him some plants and I am waiting to hear back from him as to what he may like.
Thuja
1951: -37*F;
1996: -29*F;
2005: -10*F;
2006: -17*F;
2007: -17*F.

Post by Thuja »

Nice shoppin' list there. I wish I could order something too. Brad, if you clear customs then are you free and clear, or do you have to go thru the whole quarantine period too? Yug.

Fred, I saw that A. scandens on your list and was thinking houseplant when I saw it. Oh Jeez, nevermind, I have too many houseplants already. :?
--Mike
fredgpops
35 miles S. of San Jose

Post by fredgpops »

Brad - See photo section of this site. Note Scandens pictures from Germany. Also saw a guy growing it in the UK on the Bamboo Forum.
Thuja - I'm sending you 50lbs of Ice Plant.
Rgds - Fred Irvine
needmore

A Scandens

Post by needmore »

Fred, I see, it looks like it can take a bit of frost. I'll see if Jos wants one.

Thuja, yes this is an expensive, complicated thing. I have to clean the plants at the nursery in the NE, have them inspected there and obtain a Phyto San Cert for each box, bring them back with me on the plane and turn them over to a customs broker that I have to hire. The broker will take them to customs for inspection and if they manage to pass, they are shipped directly to the quarantine station for 1 year. The advice I have is to cut all cums off and totally wash the rhizomes/roots, pack them in a moisture gel, and hope to get them to the quarantine greenhouse, and then hope that the bare rhizomes will quickly produce culms.

Simple eh? Oh, yea, I have to go to Amsterdam too! :o :D