Dividing a bamboo clump

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

Andros2240
Location info: 0

Dividing a bamboo clump

Post by Andros2240 »

I decided yesterday to move a B. Malingensis from the ground and divide this clump to make 5 separate plants. The plant is approaching its 3rd growing season. I removed plant, sprayed off all the old soil so I could see where the rhizomes were attached and cutting to make sure I would not damage the rhizome. These plants are now in planters with coconut core and perlite mix. The tops were also cut off leaving a few leaves on each culm. I used the culms that I cut to try out propagating from culm cuttings. Cutting were also placed is pots but a lot smaller with the same mix. Plants are cuttings are under a shade netting.

Is this the proper way to go about dividing a plant if you want to make offsets from the entire culm?

If it is I have around 10 b.oldhamii plants I’d like to do the same thing with as I could use another 40-50 oldhamii plants as a privacy/windbreak.

Thank you, Andy
needmore
Location info: 0
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Re: Dividing a bamboo clump

Post by needmore »

Sounds right to me! On the cuttings it is recommended to shorten the branches down to a few viable buds and some people swear by filling the cut culms with water and keeping them full - never tried that yet, my last one were solid so I couldn't but why not?
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com