Site Admin
Location info: 1
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

NW Flower and garden show

Post by bambooweb »

From Jim Engan
More about the show is at: http://www.gardenshow.com
Happy New Year to all my bamboo friends,

Last year when we wrapped up the booth at the Flower & Garden Show we thought that it was probably the last time for the booth because the show had not been sold and the current owner had said he was not going to run it again. Well as most of you know the show was sold and it will run from February 3 through 7. From the information I have received it looks like the procedures have not changed.

I am asking all of you if there are any changes we can make that will be more accommodating to staffing the booth? We will again receive 8 arm band passes a day for our booth staff. For 20+ years the schedule has been 4 individuals covering 9 AM to 3 PM and 4 individuals covering 3 PM to 9 PM. This scheduling is our choice. I am bringing up this question because support for the booth has fallen off, especially for the last two years. Previously I believe we were fully staffed for each shift, for these last years we were down to 2 to 3 people for some of the evening shifts. My question is, will modifying our schedule entice more people to participate in staffing the booth? There have been reasons for the 6 hour shifts including:
1. The bamboo booth fortunately has a lot of traffic, normally 2 to 3 members will be occupied with questions from the public. This has allowed the staff to rotate brakes for 1 or 2 to go out and see the show when it is a little slow.
2. When I am discussing staffing the booth with first timers often to get them to accept I have to assure them I will team them with experienced staff and with a new couple this is easier if they will be on a team of 4.
3. Many of our staff come as a couple and as long as both can talk bamboo nonmembers are welcome, therefore two couples make up a number of our shifts.
4. Periodically a staff member has not made it in and the shift can get by with only 3 members.
5. For a number of our members the only times they meet other members are at the Flower & Garden Show and the June sale. I believe contact with other members will help retain them as members.

Anyway if a shorter schedule will enable someone to participate please let me know and I will try to accommodate you. The other question is, are the chapter members still interested in staffing the booth? I believe that the payoff to the PNWCABS includes a source of new members each year and a steady increase in the public's interest in bamboo. My payoff includes meeting old friends and interesting new people each year, and numerous discussions about bamboo. How about you?

Please email me at .
You may call me at
Home (253)631-9702
Cell (253)632-9701

If you will help by covering a shift or have a question an email is best. The standard schedule will be:
Wednesday Feb. 3
9 AM - 3 PM
3 PM - 9 PM
------------------
Thursday Feb. 4
9 AM - 3 PM
3 PM - 9 PM
------------------
Friday Feb. 5
9 AM - 3 PM
3 PM - 9 PM
------------------
Saturday Feb. 6
9 AM - 3 PM
3 PM - 9 PM
------------------
Sunday Feb. 7
9 AM - 3 PM
3 PM - 6 PM The afternoon staff will need to take down the booth.
------------------