Goat Feeding Trial with Bamboo in Booneville AR

Document your results with different mulches, seeds, mutations, TC or other experiments.

Moderators: needmore, David

Mackel in DFW
Location info: 0

Re: Goat Feeding Trial with Bamboo in Booneville AR

Post by Mackel in DFW »

Thankyou, my Bamboo Brother!
ShmuBamboo

Post by ShmuBamboo »

Goats love bamboo. As do sheep. When the goats or sheep got into my one acre garden area when I lived on a sheep ranch in Southern Oregon, they went for the bamboo first. They passed up the black and rasp berries and even the roses and maples to get at the bamboo. They love eating all of those plants, but they preferred the bamboo over all others. That particular stand was a mix of golden (Phy. aurea) and black (Phy. nigra). The bamboo was about 20 feet tall there and when the sheep or goats got in there they gave the bamboos a complete leaf cut, about 5 feet up off the ground.

Bamboo is a grass, and as such digested the same as pasture grasses by most ruminant animals. You could easily feed bamboo to sheep or goats and keep then well fed if you have the bamboo resources. Deer are also ruminants, but for some reason they do not eat the bamboo here. Which is why grow bamboo really. The deer pretty much eat anything and everything else that is green around here, but not any of the bamboos. I feed my bamboo cuttings to the neighbor's goats and they come running and gobble them up. Of course they also eat the apples I feed them, and the lawn mover cuttings. Pretty much anything green, any kind of leaf or root or fruit, and the goats will eat it.
Happy trails...
Cooper12
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by Cooper12 »

My goats love the bamboo for sure
Jason Floyd
Hangtown Farms

Emmett Idaho
Zone 7A
Potato country