Bamboo in Haiti

Document your results with different mulches, seeds, mutations, TC or other experiments.

Moderators: needmore, David

Eastlandia
Location info: 0

Bamboo in Haiti

Post by Eastlandia »

Does anyone know of anyone growing bamboo in Haiti? And success they have had? I have been twice since the earthquake helping a community rebuild and would love to get them some bamboo they can use. So far I have only seen B. Vulgaris which really isn't the best for eating (cyanide), construction, or long-lasting timber.

On a side note - Does anyone know if Guadua has been introduced into the caribbean islands? Maybe I can send some there... is that allowed? Or... can I smuggle some bamboo seeds in? Maybe I can hide them in a bag of sunflower seeds through security. ; )

-eastlandia
Brian T. Lawrence
Southern Indiana (2002-2011)
Fort Myers Florida (2012-2013)
Tanzania (2014)
Iowaboo
Location info: 32

Re: Bamboo in Haiti

Post by Iowaboo »

Googling it should give you a better idea what is going on there. This link mentions how they are growing better varieties. http://www.oreworld.org/bamboo.htm
foxd
Location info: 21
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Re: Bamboo in Haiti

Post by foxd »

The World Bamboo Organization has a Bamboo Housing Project to provide shelter in Haiti. There is also a five year plan to establish bamboo plantations there.

http://worldbamboo.net/?p=381
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.