Handbook for Growing Bamboo - Karl Bareis

Document your results with different mulches, seeds, mutations, TC or other experiments.

Moderators: needmore, David

fredgpops
Location info: 0
Location: plus 700ft in the Santa Cruz Mtns, 8 miles from the Pacific
35 miles S. of San Jose

Handbook for Growing Bamboo - Karl Bareis

Post by fredgpops »

Kyoto National University study 1951-1985
1. The longest study & most complete study applied to cultivated bamboo.
2. Optimum yields re chemical applications - 20-15-20 (Nitrogen, potassium, phosphorus), two times a year.
3) Organic - best composted manure was cow manure placed over rice straw.
4) Mulch - leaf litter and rice straw for 3 seasons then a layer of red clay.

Handbook from a class on growing bamboo at the University of California Santa Cruz that I attended. Rgds
movenosound

Re: Handbook for Growing Bamboo - Karl Bareis

Post by movenosound »

Karl Bareis is the author of Handbook for Growing Bamboo? Do you know when the handbook was published, and what Karl Bareis' background is?
fredgpops
35 miles S. of San Jose

Post by fredgpops »

The handbook was distributed at the class that I took on growing bamboo on the central coast of California. I think I took the class at UCSC in 1997.
Karl has taught the class several times at UCSC and at ABS functions. He has been a officer of the Northern Chapter a couple of times. Karl went to Japan to study carpentry several years ago. I believe he lived there about 8 years or so. He developed an interest in bamboo while he was there and studied techniques for growing it as well as using it for arts and crafts. He has taught many classes on using bamboo for arts/crafts. He developed a relationship with a university in China
that teaches bamboo cultivation. He brought one of the foremost professors to the US in the mid-90's.
Karl also knows Chris Stapleton quite well. I met Chris when he visited Karl in the late 90's. Karl has made several trips to the mtns in China and has helped bring many of the mountain bamboo species into the US. He has been a consultant to at least one bamboo nursery that I know of (Bamboo Giant).
I believe they may have been one of the first to extensively use wood chips. Rgds
Mackel in DFW

Post by Mackel in DFW »

One big red flag. Different soils require different fertilizers. There is a difference between good data and good science, and one must look at the fertilzer comment as an observation rather than a recommendation. The percents dont seem to come even close to the percents of what a plant typically utilzes...

Regards,
Mackel in DFW
fredgpops
35 miles S. of San Jose

Post by fredgpops »

Good post. I agree. My guess is that much of Japan's soil is on top of a volcanic base. Rgds