2009 Species List additions

Comments and Sugestions for the ABS Source list.
bambooweb
Site Admin
Location info: 1
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

2009 Species List additions

Post by bambooweb »

While waiting for Sources to pay their dues and pay for the ads so the Source List can be completed we came up with 24 species to move from the extended list into the ABS Species list since they had 2 or more sources. While looking for descriptions for the bamboos we have found more problems with names.

When I looked for a description for Phyllostachys hispida I found the 'Flora of China' and 'THE BAMBOOS OF THE WORLD' say it is conspecific with Phyllostachys varioauriculata. Brad imported both and they are different plants so one of them is probably misidentified.

Borinda yulongshanensis has a different problem other than it is also known as Fargesia yulongshanensis. A plant was imported a number of years ago under this name and it turned out to be Borinda nujiangensis. Now we have two more plants in the US under that name. The one that Gib Cooper has looks close to the one ID by Demoly, represented by the photos on this site- http://www.junglegiants.co.uk/acatalog/ ... moly_.html.
The one that Ian Connor sells and Jos van der Palen talks about at http://www.kimmei.com/pu/pu11.htm is the one that Robert Linder collected and it is different.

Dendrocalamus validus/ Bambusa bicicatricata is also a problem - Dr Widjaja said the plant labeled Bambusa bicicatricata in CA was Dendrocalamus validus but there is still doubts about that name. It has been suggested to call it Dendrocalamus 'Dr Seuss' with the statement in the description that it has has been called validus & bicicatricata but these seem unlikely?

There are a couple more where we cannot find documentation for the name but are including them because they are being sold under that name in the US and Europe but the name could be corrected in the future.

I think the bamboo naming problem will not be resolved until there is DNA fingerprints for all known bamboos. In the mean time it is interesting.

Bill
ghmerrill
Location info: 26

Re: 2009 Species List additions

Post by ghmerrill »

bambooweb wrote:Borinda yulongshanensis has a different problem other than it is also known as Fargesia yulongshanensis. A plant was imported a number of years ago under this name and it turned out to be Borinda nujiangensis. Now we have two more plants in the US under that name. The one that Gib Cooper has looks close to the one ID by Demoly, represented by the photos on this site- http://www.junglegiants.co.uk/acatalog/ ... moly_.html.
The one that Ian Connor sells and Jos van der Palen talks about at http://www.kimmei.com/pu/pu11.htm is the one that Robert Linder collected and it is different.
interesting.

I just got one from a local place, they had it labled as F. yulongshanensis, but told me the name was changed to B. nujiangensis. Here is the interesting part- after being up at Neds on monday, and seeing his B. nujiangensis, it was very unhappy, no leaves at all. the one down here at Gaylin and Rosemarys did not have a single burned leaf ( we did not get as cold here though) Im going to have to find out if they got thiers from Gib or Ned... or Ian, or where. I did not look at them long and hard enought to see if there was a difference in branching, etc, so I may have to do that and get some pics next time im out there. looking at Neds site, He has B. nujiangensis (that he sells) listed for 10f hardiness. Gib has F. yulonshanensis (that he sells) listed as -20f hardiness...
since Neds place got hit with 8f weather, we can assume he at least has the correct temp listed for his plants, since they were affected by the cold severely. Now I have to see what the descriptions say about each, and see who has what, so I know what mine is!
bambooweb
Site Admin
Location info: 1
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Re: 2009 Species List additions

Post by bambooweb »

ghmerrill wrote:I just got one from a local place, they had it labled as F. yulongshanensis, but told me the name was changed to B. nujiangensis. Here is the interesting part- after being up at Neds on monday, and seeing his B. nujiangensis, it was very unhappy, no leaves at all. the one down here at Gaylin and Rosemarys did not have a single burned leaf ( we did not get as cold here though) Im going to have to find out if they got thiers from Gib or Ned... or Ian, or where. I did not look at them long and hard enought to see if there was a difference in branching, etc, so I may have to do that and get some pics next time im out there. looking at Neds site, He has B. nujiangensis (that he sells) listed for 10f hardiness. Gib has F. yulonshanensis (that he sells) listed as -20f hardiness...
since Neds place got hit with 8f weather, we can assume he at least has the correct temp listed for his plants, since they were affected by the cold severely. Now I have to see what the descriptions say about each, and see who has what, so I know what mine is!
What you have is likely B. nujiangensis because the others are relatively new imports.

Bill
ghmerrill
Location info: 26

RE: 2009 Species List additions

Post by ghmerrill »

Cool! guess that answers it then!