Pleioblastus viridistriatus 'Chrysophyllus'

Comments and Sugestions for the ABS Source list.
foxd
Location info: 21
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Pleioblastus viridistriatus 'Chrysophyllus'

Post by foxd »

The Source List lists maximum height as 3 feet. I think 4 feet may be the maximum height.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
foxd

Re: Pleioblastus viridistriatus 'Chrysophyllus'

Post by foxd »

I now have some of my Chrysophyllus that has passed four foot in height. I will try and take pictures, the size is just a bit scary. :shock:
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
Alan_L
Location info: 81

Post by Alan_L »

Is that even with yearly mowing, or no mowing?
foxd

Post by foxd »

Alan_L wrote:Is that even with yearly mowing, or no mowing?
No mowing, however the shoots are new.

Yes, I know, I really should mow them before shooting season.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

fredgpops
Location info: 0
Location: plus 700ft in the Santa Cruz Mtns, 8 miles from the Pacific
35 miles S. of San Jose

Post by fredgpops »

Mine are in the 4ft range as well. I have experimented with mow/cut vs leave as is. Results are the same re height but there is a more vibrant color and more striping when it is mowed/cut. Ditto Pl. argenteostriata. More colorful and more variegated leaves when mowed/cut. Rgds
Last edited by fredgpops on Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alan_L

Post by Alan_L »

fredgpops: How tall is your Pl. argenteostriata with mowing? (and how long has it been in the ground?)
fredgpops
35 miles S. of San Jose

Post by fredgpops »

Had to edit my original post. Height on both species is the same whether you leave as is or mow. Mowing makes leaves on both more vibrant and tends to result in more variegation. My argenteostriata
runs 3 1/2 to 4ft tall. It has been in ground about 10 years. I have used it on a hill for erosion control. In my zone it is usually 1 of the first to shoot and the first to go into winter mode. The mowing causes more leaves that are predominately white with green striping. These white leaves do not like direct sun, however.
This is probably the most aggressive of my dwarf bamboos. I cut it back 2 or 3 times a year. The culms can't take the weight of tall plants and start bending/matting. Rgds
Alan_L

Post by Alan_L »

When you say "cut it back 2-3 times a year", do you mean to the ground? Does it keep shooting all season? (Wondering why you have to cut it more than once)

Sorry for all the questions, but I have some of this that will be going in the ground sometime in the next couple of years and want to make sure I understand how it performs. Of course you're conditions are different than mine, so maybe it's not even comparable, but I'd rather have all the info I can find first. :)
fredgpops
35 miles S. of San Jose

Post by fredgpops »

It continues to grow up and spread roots after cutting. I cut it because I don't like the look of it (ref the bending/matting) when it gets too tall plus aesthetically it looks good when it is at an even height. Rgds