Bambusa bicicatricata

Comments and Sugestions for the ABS Source list.
Roy
Location info: 6
Location: Tampa, Florida, USA,............Florida's SunCoast <Zone 9B-10A>

Bambusa bicicatricata

Post by Roy »

Anybody know anything about Bambusa bicicatricata. I know Richard Lyons and Charlie Crowley sell it in Florida. Charles has it listed as 4 inches by 60 feet. It's not listed in the ABS Source List.

Richard Lyons Nursery in Homestead
http://tinyurl.com/ywzxcv

Charlie Crowley in Sarasota
--------------------------
Roy Rogers
Southern Tampania de la Floridana Universidad (STFU)
STFU Motto: All Bamboos are not Created Equal; @ STFU, the Search Continues
:wave: ROY'S BAMBOO LIST
boonut
Location info: 20
Location: Harlingen, TX Zone 10, Sunset Zone 27. 33' above sea level. 27 inches of rain/year. 22 Miles to the Laguna Madre. 27 miles to the Gulf of Mexico. 17 miles from Mexico. Lower Rio Grande Valley - Deep South Texas

RE: Bambusa bicicatricata

Post by boonut »

Mr. Mike has one. I saw the one at Crowley's, but he didn't have any to sell. He said his cuttings weren't ready yet. One of these days, I will get one. It seems very similar to Dendrocalamus Validus.
Allen D. Aleshire
Bamboo Nut Farm

http://www.boonut.com
mr.mike
Location info: 0

Post by mr.mike »

Unknowingly, I have both of them here at the house. Today I took a few pic's of the two of them side by side and I see absolutely no differences in the two.

. The D. bicicatricata has been in the ground for 14 months and finally pushed a shoot up last month. The D. validus is in a 5 g. pot & pushed a shoot up about 3 weeks ago so I put them side by side today for comparison and they are about as close to the same thing as my eyes could see. The photo's are a bit blurry but they are what they are. Sorry! The Validus is on the right

What do you guys think?
boonut
Location info: 20
Location: Harlingen, TX Zone 10, Sunset Zone 27. 33' above sea level. 27 inches of rain/year. 22 Miles to the Laguna Madre. 27 miles to the Gulf of Mexico. 17 miles from Mexico. Lower Rio Grande Valley - Deep South Texas

Post by boonut »

They sure do look similar. Keep us informed with updates as they grow. It will be good to see the differences.

I have a D. Validus in the ground. I will send pics as it grows larger. I have seen several D. Validus that sure do look nice.
Allen D. Aleshire
Bamboo Nut Farm

http://www.boonut.com
bambooweb
Site Admin
Location info: 1
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by bambooweb »

According to Dr. Widjaja. The plant that she saw in CA was D. valida, but the FOC lists D. valida as Bambusa valida.

Bill