B. sp. 'Nana'

Comments and Sugestions for the ABS Source list.
Roy
Location info: 6
Location: Tampa, Florida, USA,............Florida's SunCoast <Zone 9B-10A>

B. sp. 'Nana'

Post by Roy »

2007 ABS Source List:

A medium-sized timber bamboo from Thailand. Straight, strong. Some yellow stripes. Possibly B. multiplex.

We should remove the "Possibly B. multiplex" from the List. I don't know of anyone who thinks that this looks like or is a B. multiplex. Sherry Snodgress said that she is going to see him she can get me some better pictures of the one she has growing at her place.
--------------------------
Roy Rogers
Southern Tampania de la Floridana Universidad (STFU)
STFU Motto: All Bamboos are not Created Equal; @ STFU, the Search Continues
:wave: ROY'S BAMBOO LIST
boonut
Location info: 20
Location: Harlingen, TX Zone 10, Sunset Zone 27. 33' above sea level. 27 inches of rain/year. 22 Miles to the Laguna Madre. 27 miles to the Gulf of Mexico. 17 miles from Mexico. Lower Rio Grande Valley - Deep South Texas

RE: B. sp. 'Nana'

Post by boonut »

Mine put up a very nice 10' tall shoot that looks great. Nothing at all like a multiplex. I can't wait to put that one in the ground.
Allen D. Aleshire
Bamboo Nut Farm

http://www.boonut.com
Roy

Re: RE: B. sp. 'Nana'

Post by Roy »

boonut wrote:Mine put up a very nice 10' tall shoot that looks great. Nothing at all like a multiplex. I can't wait to put that one in the ground.
And this is what one looks like in the ground in Florida. I'm sure you recognize this one from Sherry Snodgress' place. Very beautiful plant. Never seen a multiplex look like this.

Bambusa sp. 'Nana'
Roy Rogers
boonut
Location: Harlingen, TX Zone 10, Sunset Zone 27. 33' above sea level. 27 inches of rain/year. 22 Miles to the Laguna Madre. 27 miles to the Gulf of Mexico. 17 miles from Mexico. Lower Rio Grande Valley - Deep South Texas

Post by boonut »

I can't wait until mine looks like that. :) :)

Another one I am excited about is Bambusa Distegia. That one seems to do really well here. A lot of my boo is a little yellow as a result of all the rain.... but, the B. Distegia is nice and dark green.

Bambusa Beecheyana "pubescens" is another one that seems to like it down here.
Allen D. Aleshire
Bamboo Nut Farm

boonut

Post by boonut »

With all the rain, I am having doubts about some of my bamboo. Some are a little yellow with no shoots at all this year. Dendrocalamus bamboo seem to be the most sensitive to too much water. Gigantochloas do pretty well with our soils, and water.

I am a little gun shy about putting any more bamboo at the farm for a while. I am going to start planting them on mounds of soil that has a little more sand with plenty of organics.
Allen D. Aleshire
Bamboo Nut Farm

mike best
Location info: 0

Post by mike best »

I have seen Nana somewhere in the past, where was it? Has it ever gone by a different name? Was this one ever on Sherry's web site?

Why is bamboo not very popular? It is a beautiful clumper with excellent form, and real decorative in the landscape.

I remember I went to get some a year ago as I was a big fan you know of it and I brought back Nutans because I said...."ah I would like a, ah, it starts with a N....ah, was it Nastus...ah, Nutans....ah..." Anyway, long story short I got a Nutans. When I got home I and did some looking and I realized Nutans was not what I wanted at all it was Nana! Now I don't know where my info came from about Nana at the time.
Mike Best
boonut

Post by boonut »

I don't believe it has been on Sherry's website, but it was on http://www.bambooresearch.com/research/riang.html

It is doing very well so far for me. I agree that it sure does look nice. Sherry does have this bamboo. Check out her site at: http://www.bambooflorida.com/index.html
Allen D. Aleshire
Bamboo Nut Farm

boonut

Post by boonut »

I particularly like the uniformity of the culms and full foliage. Mine is still in a pot... but already put out two new culms.
Allen D. Aleshire
Bamboo Nut Farm

Roy

Re: RE: B. sp. 'Nana'

Post by Roy »

mike best wrote:I have seen Nana somewhere in the past, where was it? Has it ever gone by a different name? Was this one ever on Sherry's web site?

Why is bamboo not very popular? It is a beautiful clumper with excellent form, and real decorative in the landscape.

I remember I went to get some a year ago as I was a big fan you know of it and I brought back Nutans because I said...."ah I would like a, ah, it starts with a N....ah, was it Nastus...ah, Nutans....ah..." Anyway, long story short I got a Nutans. When I got home I and did some looking and I realized Nutans was not what I wanted at all it was Nana! Now I don't know where my info came from about Nana at the time.
Mike,

We only have 5 pictures of B.nutans in the image gallery, and 2 of them are yours. As you get more pictures of your B. nutans, be sure and upload some more to our gallery.
Roy Rogers
mike best
Location info: 0

Post by mike best »

Yes Roy I will, it is growing fast it seems. Just remembered my Nutans is from seed (as said on Chucks site). Should be interesting to see how it looks when mature.
Mike Best