Sun/Shade number

Comments and Sugestions for the ABS Source list.
Roy
Location info: 6
Location: Tampa, Florida, USA,............Florida's SunCoast <Zone 9B-10A>

RE: New Source List Editors

Post by Roy »

From the ABS Source List introduction:
The ?shade/sun? number is an estimate of the optimum sunlight conditions for the species. A ?1? indicates no direct sun, and a ?5? indicates full sun with ?2? to ?4? being gradations of partial shade. The general rules are that large bamboos such as Bambusa and Phyllostachys grow best in the sun, while those with thinner leaves like at least some shade. Some bamboos will be happy under a range of conditions. There has been considerable discussion about whether we should give a range of numbers for each bamboo or even specify a number for each latitude, since a plant that needs ?full sun? in Massachusetts is fried in ?full sun? in Arizona. Further research is required.
I did have a Florida bamboo grower mention to me the other day that somehow, someway, there needs to be more "guidance/clarification/delineation" between a "5" is in Michigan and a Florida "5".

I don't have any real ideas about how this would be done or how much expansion should there be on what is already done, but I said I would bring it up.

Anybody have any :idea: ideas?
--------------------------
Roy Rogers
Southern Tampania de la Floridana Universidad (STFU)
STFU Motto: All Bamboos are not Created Equal; @ STFU, the Search Continues
:wave: ROY'S BAMBOO LIST
bambooweb
Site Admin
Location info: 1
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

RE: New Source List Editors

Post by bambooweb »

Another problem with the 'sun/shade' number is that giving different values for latitudes does not work. 'Full Sun' in Western Washington where it rarely get above 90*F and has a lot of cloud cover is different than 'Full Sun' east of the Cascades where the temps can get over 100*F and you can have no clouds for weeks. The altitude also affects this.

Even with all of the problems, I think we could provide a range to better indicate sun/shade tolerance.

Bill
Roy
Location info: 6
Location: Tampa, Florida, USA,............Florida's SunCoast <Zone 9B-10A>

Re: RE: New Source List Editors

Post by Roy »

bambooweb wrote:Another problem with the 'sun/shade' number is that giving different values for latitudes does not work. 'Full Sun' in Western Washington where it rarely get above 90*F and has a lot of cloud cover is different than 'Full Sun' east of the Cascades where the temps can get over 100*F and you can have no clouds for weeks. The altitude also affects this.

Even with all of the problems, I think we could provide a range to better indicate sun/shade tolerance.

Bill
And 95 F in Arizona is definitely different that 95 F in Florida. Like you said, I don't think we are going to come up with a great improvement, but at least thinking about we might make some improvement.
--------------------------
Roy Rogers
Southern Tampania de la Floridana Universidad (STFU)
STFU Motto: All Bamboos are not Created Equal; @ STFU, the Search Continues
:wave: ROY'S BAMBOO LIST