Need Help With Asian Lemon Bamboo !

Controlling pests of bamboo

Moderator: needmore

Jb73bamboo
Location info: 0

Need Help With Asian Lemon Bamboo !

Post by Jb73bamboo »

Good day, I live in central Florida & have invested quite a bit into my privacy hedge of Asian Lemon Bamboo plants, approx 100 plants and counting.
50% of them planted 2 years ago and now pushing 20ft tall, the other 50% planted a year ago and they are 10-12 ft tall.
I have great concerns about their health and this weird look they have taken on. Their stalks look unhealthy with spotting and just looking down right sad. They have also taken on aphids as evidence of the black soot around the stem bases.
I've tried to hit them with high water pressure and spray them with Neem oil but these sap sucker aphids still seem to hold on.
I spoke with the bamboo farm I purchased at and they suggested the Neem oil. They were unsure about the stalks and the advice given was that bamboo grow so fast, they typically can outgrow any issues they have.....Thats Not Sound Advice IMO 😳
Does anyone have any recommendations or has anyone dealt with this before?
The plants are on a drip irrigation system 3 times a week for 30 minute intervals.
None of the plants are physically dying but they just don't look healthy.
I am attempting to attach photos for everyones review.
Thank you for any help!
Attachments
10774.jpeg
10774.jpeg (15.48 KiB) Viewed 1985 times
10771.jpeg
10771.jpeg (14.37 KiB) Viewed 1985 times
10768.jpeg
10768.jpeg (37.36 KiB) Viewed 1985 times
Alan_L
Location info: 81

Re: Need Help With Asian Lemon Bamboo !

Post by Alan_L »

I don't have any experience with tropical bamboos, but I would suggest trying less water, especially if there is any indication that the soil is staying soggy. Maybe even stop watering altogether. Or stop watering part of the hedge and see if that part starts doing better.

If this is a fungal issue, does it make sense that every single plant has it?
Jb73bamboo

Post by Jb73bamboo »

Here in FL, at least where I'm at, we have very sandy soil which doesn't retain water for long. The soil is never soggy. I've tried cutting back, I've even stopped watering all together, but the stalks still look the same.
I've tried searching www for similar images of bamboo with same issues but haven't really ran across anything.
Not sure how to figure out what I'm dealing with. The black soot I've been told is because of aphids, but not sure if there's any relation between soot/aphids and the spotty stalks. The stalks should be nice and yellow with green stripes but as you can see in pics, that's not the case. Pic of healthy stalks (not my plants) vs my bamboo 🤷🏼‍♂️
Attachments
10768.jpeg
10768.jpeg (37.36 KiB) Viewed 1978 times
Screenshots_2022-02-24-22-29-33.png
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

Could it be possible that there is a cold temp factor involved?
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com