New shoots have withered leaves

Controlling pests of bamboo

Moderator: needmore

slope72
Location info: 0

New shoots have withered leaves

Post by slope72 »

Hi all!

I have a Fargesia (I think) that was not doing well in a location with poor soil. I cut it back to the ground and transplanted to a new location with rich amended soil and regular watering. It quickly sent up a bunch of new shoots with healthy leaves. After growing for a few weeks and getting to about 10 inches high, the leaves started coming out curled tightly in on themselves. This is not a watering situation as there are plenty of healthy vibrant leaves on the plant. This is just happening with the newest leaves. Also, the leaf buds at the tip of the shoots are grey and dying/dead. Any thoughts? Thanks!
20200701_122545.jpg
Canadrew

Re: New shoots have withered leaves

Post by Canadrew »

When and how did you transplant it? What I'm thinking is that If it was during the normal shooting season, then you may have caused it a lot of undue stress / shock. If it was transplanted through digging out the root ball or sawing around the base, maybe you cut some rhizomes and now the plant is starving for some more energy...

Sadly I can't think of a solution - but maybe cut some of the shoots so the plant can throw all its energy into fewer shoots?
slope72

Post by slope72 »

Thanks for the reply! Transplanted it a month ago. It had been in place for nearly two years with almost no growth. I was able to dig out the entire root ball easily. It has sent up about 5 or 6 six new, healthy shoots and all of them have this mix of big, healthy leaves and the newer, wrinkled leaves. I gave it some fertilizer when I transplanted.
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

I can't quite see enough to have any thoughts, the one odd leaf I do see suggests over watering but ignore that, not enough data!

But, that yellow stripe on the leaf is quite unique and I can not think of any Fargesia that has that - interesting bamboo!
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

Ignore the distorted leaf, new growth will most likely get normal again. I have seen these kind of stunted leaves when bamboos got shocked - placed potted bamboo out too soon, forgot to water, ... Very nice looking variegation!
redfang

Post by redfang »

It almost looks like leaf miner damage to me. Maybe shine a light through the leaf and see if the trails let more light through? There are leaf miners here that plague the birch trees and lilacs, the damage seems to appear overnight.