Bamboo Leaf Damage

Controlling pests of bamboo

Moderator: needmore

Danfuch
Location info: 0

Bamboo Leaf Damage

Post by Danfuch »

Hi All,

I am new to this forum and bamboo growing but not new to growing plants. What a awesome forum.

I am having some problems on my leaves and wanted to see if some can help.
BE65EE4F-A1CF-4942-B70B-3F0876898EBD.jpeg
22595964-B387-4E75-A4E9-EC8B51D8AA52.jpeg
Tarzanus

Re: Bamboo Leaf Damage

Post by Tarzanus »

https://cold-hardy.com/bamboo-fungal-infection/

Does it look something like this?

I did not come to a conclusion regarding this issue. Spraying aspirin dissolved in water over the leaves did seem to help, but after a while, the problem became even more evident. It always happened inside, never outside in the open. I was using LED diode grow lamps. They are purple and plants just love them. Perhaps bamboos are more delicate when it comes to light spectrum and they started blackening.

I guess if the damage is the same, we can try figuring out the problem considering your growing conditions and comparing them with mine.
Chris S
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America
Location: SE UK 400ft Zone 8/7 Low usually 28F, -4C (-10, -12, -14, -1, -6C last 5); High 99F, 37C in 2019

Post by Chris S »

I agree that this is not caused by a pest or disease. It looks to me like light-induced anthocyanin production, a protection mechanism to avoid various kinds of damage from excessive radiation - plant sunburn if you like, and something that warrants scientific investigation. I have always dreamed of a purple-leaved ornamental bamboo.
Chris
SE England
bamboo-identification.co.uk

Think globally, act locally
Cooper12
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by Cooper12 »

where are you located? we get this up here in the lower Mountains quite a bit in the winter. They Green up in the Spring. though mine are outside. Our yours in a Greenhouse?
Jason Floyd
Hangtown Farms

Emmett Idaho
Zone 7A
Potato country