What's wrong with my B. multiplex

Controlling pests of bamboo

Moderator: needmore

Lornek8
Location info: 0

What's wrong with my B. multiplex

Post by Lornek8 »

Hi, I'm having some issues with my B. multiplexs, both 'Silverstripe' & 'Alphose Karr'. All the new leaves that are coming out this year are a very light green almost yellow/white in color and appear to be less robust than normal. Some eventually color up but don't seem to open up green like my other boos. The 'Silverstripe' I've had for about a year & it never seemed to do well so when the leaves began coming out that way this year I wasn't overly surprised. However the Alphonse Karr I got earlier this year & when purchased it had normal appearing leaves. I'm a bit stumped, has anyone run into this type of thing before? Thanks
Bamboo Outlaw
Location: We are less than one hour south of downtown Houston. We are located in Wild Peach, Texas located half way between Brazoria and West Columbia. Exit hwy 36 onto County Road 354. Take County Road 353 west . Go approximately 2.4 miles. We are on the left.

RE: What's wrong with my B. multiplex

Post by Bamboo Outlaw »

Too little iron, too low PH or too little nitrogen. Probably the latter.
Steve Carter
Carter Bamboo
http://www.carterbamboo.com

cell (979)665-1897
Brazoria, Texas
Lornek8

Post by Lornek8 »

Thanks. Thought about those things, well all except the too low pH. The Silverstripe honestly wasn't doing well so deficiencies were not a surprise. These are both in pots at the current time. I've had the Alphonse Karr about 1.5 months and was giving it Dyna-Gro Foliage Pro & Pro-Tekt about once per week and did a couple of doses of Green Light Iron & Soil Acidifier so maybe its the pH issue. I've got a number of other Bambusas, Gigantochloa and a few runners all on a similar routine but only the multis seem to be having this problem. Was just wondering if there was anything in particular about them that it might be attributed to.
Roy
Location info: 6
Location: Tampa, Florida, USA,............Florida's SunCoast <Zone 9B-10A>

Post by Roy »

You got any pictures you can show us?
--------------------------
Roy Rogers
Southern Tampania de la Floridana Universidad (STFU)
STFU Motto: All Bamboos are not Created Equal; @ STFU, the Search Continues
:wave: ROY'S BAMBOO LIST
Kidjetta

Post by Kidjetta »

I've got a few boos with the same appearance. So if I throw down some Ironite and some 10-10-10 on some recently transplated divisions and that doesn't work, how would I test my soil ph?
Flashburn

Post by Flashburn »

They sell cheap meters for ph testing. They are not SUPER accurate but should be able to let you know if you have an issue.
Steve in France

Post by Steve in France »

I'd re-pot with a decent homemade compost mix and try to figure out what was wrong with the the old mix later. Sometimes potting mixes get toxic in a pot because there is too much of a good thing in the pot and nothing to break it down. I've often found repotting is a fast way to solve a problem, I've also found not repotting is a quick way to have a badly damaged plant.
Hope this helps
Steve
Always experimenting to get Timber Bamboos Timber size :-)
Lornek8

Post by Lornek8 »

I'll try to get pics up when I can.

Thanks for the input so far.
Lornek8

Re: What's wrong with my B. multiplex

Post by Lornek8 »

Sorry, I never did get an opportunity to get a picture. I think it might have been a fertilizer issue after all. I guess with the climate here the boos never really shut down for the winter & with winter being the rainy season & growing in containters I guess what water-soluable fertilizer I did offer (which was less than the summer months) probably got flushed from the pot quickly. A heavy dose of slow-release fertilizer seems to have solved or at least helped the situation. The newer leaves are coming out as they should. Thanks again for all the help.
Alan_L
Location info: 81

Re: What's wrong with my B. multiplex

Post by Alan_L »

Thanks for posting the update! It's good (and important) to know the solutions to the problems that get posted here.