Bamboo mites

Controlling pests of bamboo

Moderator: needmore

dependable
Location info: 0

Re: Bamboo mites

Post by dependable »

According to what I read, the weather where I am is harsher than in Slovenia. It got to -5F (about -20C) here last winter, though that is not a regular occurrence, it does regularly get to 20F, (about -7C) here.

it is my understanding, admittedly limited, that some species of predatory mites' eggs will overwinter in our climate, even it the mites themselves do not. There seem to be three or four species that are sold, some are defiantly for warmer climates, but there may be one or two that would work for us, I'm still looking into it, but eventually will just have to try some.

Right now it is warmer and more humid than normal, so the species that would do OK right now might not be best fit on year round basis. Looking to do a early fall release, still trying to determine best species, as I'll likely be spending a few hundred dollars to get a meaningful quantity. Meanwhile, I just bought a microscope to further my education in the matter.
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

Keep us updated, I would also like to know if there is a chance to get rid of them 🙂
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

I’ve come to live with them here as they are too rampant to try and fight. None of my plants are ugly from them but most have them, a few seem less inclined.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

Torrential rains this year, occasionally 3 days long, made the population of mites drop dramatically. I hope they won't be able to recover 😁