upsizing Pics 2013

how to take close-ups and what parts of the plants to get photos of for ID.

Moderators: David, Iowaboo, Thuja

zxylene
Location info: 0

upsizing Pics 2013

Post by zxylene »

Continuation of last years upsize pics started by bamboothew from last year..
bamboothew wrote:I thought it would be fun to have a thread with nothing but upsize pics, and by that I mean pictures showing this year's new shoots towering over their predecessors. Here's what I mean. It's hard to believe this moso has already finished shooting in march! The tallest new shoot is about 7 feet and most of them are just starting to branch out now, perfect time for this sort of picture! Well, apparently I can't figure out how to post the picture right-side up :)
I think I have a good one for this year this is a beast
Phyllostachys glauca 'Yunzhu' shoots starting to branch
2013-05-11 17.37.23 by zxylene, on Flickr
Went from 1/8 in and not even a foot tall to about 3/4 inch and about 7' so far.
stevelau1911
Location info: 42

Re: upsizing Pics 2013

Post by stevelau1911 »

My greatest up-size so far is definitely the moso bicolor going from 1/2 inch up to more like 1 1/2, clearly tripling in size. If we are going to be generally cold for the 2nd half of May, then internodes will be more compressed resulting in less height however it will give the smaller shoots a greater chance to make, or even more shoots to emerge.

Here's the comparison from 2011 to 2012 to 2013.

2011 (3 shoots, at 0.5 inches at most)

2012 (1 shoot 0.5 inches)

2013 (9 shoots, a few small ones, but many over 1 inch, and the biggest one around 1.5 inches)

Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

Steve, that's nice upsize. It seems that pampering finally paid off. The extreme jump in size is most likely result of pampering and off-year 2012.

Congrats to your Bicolor :)
JWH

Post by JWH »

Rubromarginata going up up up!

JWH

Post by JWH »

Nice upsize on tumidissinoda.
Attachments
image.jpg
stevelau1911
Location info: 42

Post by stevelau1911 »

JHW, it looks like your shoots are really getting up there, especially for qiongzhuea tumidissinoda which shouldn't upsize that fast.

One thing that I did notice with the location of the biggest shoots on moso bicolor is that they all seem to be coming from where the black steel 55 gallon drum existed from September and through the winter. Based on where the big shoots are coming up, it looks like too much evidence to simply happen by coincidence especially when there is a shoot that got to 1.5 exceeding my largest shoots from all my species from 2012.

Since rhizomes are supposed to be drawn towards warmth, could this mean that the barrel attracted rhizomes to grow under there and also cause those shoot buds to swell to exceptional sizes?

If this is true, then it would be very interesting to test this out on something like parvifolia or atrovaginata by placing some huge black drums filled with water next to the groves.
JWH

Post by JWH »

A few more towering over last years growth. It's been a great growing season so far!

Chimonobambusa Szechuanensis went from 1.5' to 3-4' tall. Will be planted this year.

Fargesia Scabrida was a prolific shooter this year, about 6' tall

Fargesia Robusta 'Campbell' only 9 new shoots this spring. Maybe it'll have a big autumn shooting? Tallest culm 7.5'

Fargesia Rufa tons of shoots this spring, nice height gain. One culm looks like it could be 8' tall, the majority are in the 7' range.
JWH

Post by JWH »

Second wave of rubromarginata shoots are getting up there! Around 13' tall

Bashania Fargesii shoots are going to leaf out soon. About the same height as last years shoots 20ft. That might be it's mature height here.

johnw
Bamboo Society Membership: EBS - Germany

Post by johnw »

JWH

How hardy is that C. szechuanensis do you reckon? Any idea of the altitude at which it was collected?

john
johnw coastal Nova Scotia
JWH

Post by JWH »

Bamboo garden lists it hardy to 10f/-12c. Supposedly it's one of the hardier Chimonobambusas.

I got mine from Jim Bonner at Bamboo Plantation. I bought the 'Emei II' version since it was collected in the mountains. Here is the description:

"Collected from the Emei mountains, probably the same as the type."

And the description for regular szechuanensis:

"A square bamboo from Sichuan, China where it grows at 1000 to 2400 m. Used for shoots and as a food source for giant pandas. Introduced to France in 1990, relatively new to this country."
johnw

Post by johnw »

JWH wrote:Bamboo garden lists it hardy to 10f/-12c. Supposedly it's one of the hardier Chimonobambusas.

I got mine from Jim Bonner at Bamboo Plantation. I bought the 'Emei II' version since it was collected in the mountains. Here is the description:

"Collected from the Emei mountains, probably the same as the type."

And the description for regular szechuanensis:

"A square bamboo from Sichuan, China where it grows at 1000 to 2400 m."
JWH

10F sounds a tad generous for 1000-2400m but I hope it thrives for you. Will be interedsting to see its progress!

I wonder if Y. chungii (brevi) might fly in southern NS?

This shot last night out by the coast - has to be the tallest Rufa around. Green Panda. Friend shot it with her iPad so not so sharp.

My Spectabilis from BG this year looks awful, flowering head to toe. Bet we don't get a single seed as with flexuosa.
Attachments
Fargesia dracocephala Rufa at Alanna & Ron's.jpg
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

Some of my F rufa are looking nice thus far this year but tough to get good lite for this one
2013fargruf.jpg
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
JWH

Post by JWH »

Johnw, That IS a big ole Rufa!
johnw wrote:10F sounds a tad generous for 1000-2400m but I hope it thrives for you. Will be interedsting to see its progress!
I hope so too! I've had good luck with C.Quadrangularis 'suow' and Tumidissinoda so far. Both survived the winters of 2010 & 2011 with nighttime temperatures that dropped as low as 5f/-15c. Luckily My property is surrounded by tall trees and shrubs that act as a windbreak from the arctic air that can blow out of the Fraser river valley of British Columbia.

Quadrangularis 'suow'

I'm finding Tumidissinoda anklebreakers several feet out in all directions, my most aggressive runner by far.

Borindas are also growing good here, but we haven't had a really cold winter since they've been planted.

Borinda Macclureana
Putting up a nice crop of new shoots
johnw

Post by johnw »

That macclureana is fantastic!!

Hoping it flies here.
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

My Shibataea kumusaca is about 25% taller this year right around 2 meters tall, the uphill side is evenly floppy and doesn't show the change
kumu2.jpg

The downhill side shows an exaggerated difference due to severe flop, it is really only about a 12-15 inches taller now (tallest shoots are invading Pl simonii)
kumu1.jpg
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com