How best to induce shoot abortion

Other things that involve bamboo

Moderator: needmore

pokenei
Location info: 0

How best to induce shoot abortion

Post by pokenei »

It is bamboo shooting season for me.
There are some shoots that are sprouting in less desirable locations. E.g. In areas that I don't want it to go or when shoots grow too close together. In fact, the latter case is so prevalent this year for some reason.

Therefore, I am looking for ways to induce abortion on selected shoots without removing them. When bamboo naturally abort shoots, they reabsorbed them, which is what I want. I bended, I wiggled, and even trimmed off the top of a shoot thinking it will abort, but it stubbornly refused to abort. Now I am having regrets. Perhaps I should have let the side by side shoots be and slowly bend them apart as they grow. That would have been better. Now I have a dilemma, to break off the shoot or let it grow and have the top 2 to 3 feet missing.
Attachments
IMG_20230601_143024.jpg
dependable

Re: How best to induce shoot abortion

Post by dependable »

Just break off the tops of ones you want to abort. It has to be more than the tip however, a foot or so of growth should do it.
pokenei

Re: How best to induce shoot abortion

Post by pokenei »

Just to give an update. I decided to let it grow and I am glad I did. Even though the shoots started off very close, they eventually spreaded out near the top gave each other space. And luckily, the one shoot which I trimmed grew fully. Turns out the 1 inch tip that I trimmed consisted of all sheaths.