Removal of Bambusa vulgaris

Other things that involve bamboo

Moderator: needmore

Auke
Location info: 0

Removal of Bambusa vulgaris

Post by Auke »

Hello! I've been asked how to best (read: cheap) remove an old clump of Bambusa vulgaris in Suriname. Talking about hundreds of dead and living culms in a clump of probably about 8m diameter. Also, are there mobile chippers out there capable of chipping fresh bamboo culms of 8-10cm diameter? Thanks in advance!
Alan_L
Location info: 81

Re: Removal of Bambusa vulgaris

Post by Alan_L »

Sorry I can't help, but I would love to see a photo of this clump before removal!
Saklo
Location info: 0

Re: Removal of Bambusa vulgaris

Post by Saklo »

Greetings -- I gather that there isn't much commercial cultivation or processing of bamboo in your part of S. America, and if so, I'm not sure my suggestion will suit your situation. Nevertheless, consider seeking out someone who will take it off your hands/lands for free if it has any value locally as either timber or landscaping material. So query local lumber merchants and nurserymen. If nobody will dig it out for free, somebody might at least be interested in hauling away some of the culms.

My father lives on a hillside in Costa Rica (where bamboo is significant commercially) and his land contains mature stands of D. asper and G. atter. A crew comes to his property to selectively harvest the clumps every year or two, and I believe they pay for what they take away. He certainly keeps his stands professionally maintained at no cost.