Bamboo variety advice please

Other things that involve bamboo

Moderator: needmore

Woodie63
Location info: 0

Bamboo variety advice please

Post by Woodie63 »

Hi there, we have some large stone planters by the swimming pool which we’d like to fill with bamboo.
Ideal requirements are approx 2-4meters in height, thick/ interesting stems, minimal shedding of old growth 😅
Location is southern France, in the forest approx 500 meters altitude, 25 minutes from the sea.

Any suggestions are most appreciated

Many thanks, Peter
dependable

Re: Bamboo variety advice please

Post by dependable »

Not sure what your area's temperature range is, and you'll likely not find bamboo w thick stems at that height. Unless your planting boxes are quite large, you would be best to use a clumping bamboo, as running bamboos will become root bound in a couple of years in confined space.

One that comes to mind is Fargesia robusta.

If boxes are big enough for runner; one w pretty culms in your height range, Semi-Arundinaria yashadake 'Kimmei'.
Alan_L
Location info: 81

Post by Alan_L »

Bamboo drops litter almost all year long in my experience.
pokenei

Post by pokenei »

There is way to get thick canes at limited height.
Get large bamboo canes and top them off at the height you want. Two of my bamboo shoots snapped at 2 to 4 feet in height respectively (by who what, still mystery), but then I find them looking quite good. I think they'll look really nice in ceramic planters.

That said, I doubt you can find large bamboos for cheap.
webgator

Post by webgator »

Bamboo will shed it's leaves when stressed due to lack of water as well as once a year while new leaves are produced, so that will always be an issue.

The larger diameter bamboos are going to need room to grow to reach their true potential, so your requirements for that may not be achievable.

That being said, as Pokenei said, you can top a new shot at the height you desire to control how tall it grows.

Don't really have recommendations for what bamboo to plant in France.
Someday maybe I'll find a bamboo my wife likes...in the meantime I'll keep planting more!

My Bamboo Pics
Bamboo Propagation Info