source for Shanghai 3

Other things that involve bamboo

Moderator: needmore

Steve73
Location info: 0

source for Shanghai 3

Post by Steve73 »

Is this bamboo readily available anywhere in the United States? I have found sources for it overseas, but having trouble finding it in the states.
stevelau1911
Location info: 42

Re: source for Shanghai 3

Post by stevelau1911 »

Have you ever tried contacting Daphne Lewis who is in the southeast and sells bamboo shoots every spring? She is somewhere in the southeast and you should be able to contact her through Facebook. She does have a mature grove of S3 and just about every other species which is good for shoot production.

If shooting season has already started, might not be a great time for divisions but don't see any reason she wouldn't mind selling some to you if you have a large enough vehicle to transport massive divisions
Steve73

Post by Steve73 »

Thanks Steve, I will keep that in mind.
Tyke-A

Post by Tyke-A »

I have it in Missouri but you'd have to come get it or wait until fall when I head south again
Steve73

Post by Steve73 »

Thats a little far for me to drive at the moment. Was hoping to find a source that would ship. Thank you anyways.
David
Location info: 30
Location: Middle Tennessee (Murfreesboro) USDA Zone 6b/7a Record low Jan 1966 -14*F Frost free April 21-Oct.21

Post by David »

Hello Steve.

I have a Shanghai 3 grove that is approaching 4" culms, and 40' tall. It's really vigorous and spreading like wild. I'll be cutting it back soon and maybe it will produce some smaller plants from the severed rhizomes.

I do have a couple of smaller plants that I could dig, but they are too big to ship. I'm in Middle Tennessee if you would like to drive up and pick one up.
You can just PM me.

It should do exceptionally well for you in north Mississippi.
David Arnold
Middle Tennessee Bamboo Farm
USDA zone 6b
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

David, greetings, hope all is well with you both, sounds like your bamboo must be awesome to see in person!
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
David
Location info: 30
Location: Middle Tennessee (Murfreesboro) USDA Zone 6b/7a Record low Jan 1966 -14*F Frost free April 21-Oct.21

Post by David »

Hello Brad,

We are well, and hoping you are too. I'd love to show you around if you ever made it back to the mainland.
How's island life? I've been following your posts and it looks like you are carving out a beautiful piece of land!
Wishing you health and peace.

David
David Arnold
Middle Tennessee Bamboo Farm
USDA zone 6b
needmore

Post by needmore »

Island life is pretty good, I've not been cold in quite some time now and that was my goal! ALthough I see snow from my lanai and can get cold about anytime I choose with a 45 minute drive. Clearing land, not being able to dig a hole anywhere and starting over are all challenges as I"m well into the human ripening process!

Best to you & Beth!
Steve73

Post by Steve73 »

David, thank you for your offer. I am unable to travel at the moment, but I will gladly make the trip if my situation changes for the better. I always do enjoy reading your posts, and seeing the updates on your bamboo.
westfork

Post by westfork »

I got a really nice Shanghai 3 from Bamboo Garden last spring. You might call and see if they still have one left. And it looks like it survived an old fashioned winter with a couple nights at 34 below zero. That is a lot to ask for the first year without any shelter.
needmore

Post by needmore »

Was it buried in snow at the time?
westfork

Post by westfork »

needmore wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 3:53 pm Was it buried in snow at the time?
Unfortunately no. Most of our winters are open, cold air doesn't hold much moisture. The top growth died but that is standard practice for all bamboo up here. Had about six inches of straw for winter cover and the culms stayed dark green to that level.
needmore

Post by needmore »

Have the green culms started making new leaves?
westfork

Post by westfork »

needmore wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 4:55 pm Have the green culms started making new leaves?
Not yet, but 90% of my bamboo species haven't waken up yet. Plus these culms probably are not alive as far as the first internode. Last hard freeze was just two weeks ago. But now that our lows are above 40 things will change quickly - The corn fields planted in cold soil have emerged and most tree species are leafing out. I am hopeful as most of my bamboo cannot even maintain green culms below the mulch line until spring as this Shanghai III did. My Dulcis, Rubros, Bashania and lots of alpine clumpers have begun sending up culms but most of the other Phyllostachys are still sleeping. Usually have to wait until June for most culms to start poking through.