Tropical bambusa - breaking branches

Other things that involve bamboo

Moderator: needmore

Tarzanus
Location info: 0

Tropical bambusa - breaking branches

Post by Tarzanus »

Does any of you have an idea why would Bambusa vulgaris (most likely) start loosing branches. Whole sets of branches from the node break off by themself or when you just pull lightly one of the branches. I guess that can't be normal, or is it? Most of the branches also have soome aerial roots forming at the base.
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Re: Tropical bambusa - breaking branches

Post by needmore »

Pretty strange, my Bambusa seem to have very tough branches, I don't have B vulgaris but in general it seems Bambusa branches get crazy long, one much larger than the others and quite stiff. I think that B vulgaris roots easily from branch cuttings, sounds like yours is making it's own air layer!
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

That's what came to my mind as well. Some sort of propagation method. Large and heavy branches fall off, they already have new shoots and roots set up, if that falls into a moist undergrowth, rooting could be instant. It pushed out a shoot recently, so it could be triggered by that as well. Some time ago, it had lost a lot of leaves and the remaining foliage was brown and partly damaged. I haven't seen it when it happened, but there must have been something wrong. It's quite large though. 10cm diameter culms, perhaps more, never checked really.

Ps: branches are tough, but not the tissue where they are attached to the node. When it breaks, it doesn't seem too hard or strong. I'll snap a photo
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

Mine have been tough to cut using my best pruners where they join the culm, very fibrous and hard. I don't ever recall any of the B vulgaris Vittata in Hawai'i having the branch thing like you describe.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
wind-borne

Post by wind-borne »

The attachment to culm seemed rock solid and tough(impossible) :D to remove when I had vulgaris in Hawaii.
vulgaris.jpeg
"memory is the future of the past"