vivax vs parvifolia

Other things that involve bamboo

Moderator: needmore

Steve73
Location info: 0

vivax vs parvifolia

Post by Steve73 »

After moving into our new house several years ago, Ive started planting bamboo again. I currently have some nice vivax from my former grove. Been reading a lot of good things about parvifolia. I have never seen a grove of this in person. Is it worth growing if one already has vivax? Anyone growing both of these. Which do you like better?
pokenei

Re: vivax vs parvifolia

Post by pokenei »

I do not have vivax, so can't comment much on it.
With Parvifolia though, you need patience. You're probably not going to like the look of Parvifolia for the 4 or 5 years unless you have a large specimen to begin with. Young Parvifolias have the tendency to grow at an angle.
Choose Parvifolia if your area is borderline cold and windy. Parvifolia is more sturdy and cold hardy.
However, I think vivax is more esthetically pleasing. What about Moso? That's the most graceful bamboo imo, that is if your climate allows.
Steve73

Post by Steve73 »

Thanks Pokenei.

Since we have much more room to grow now, I am just kicking around different ideas of what I want to plant. Parvifolia is one of many choices. Others Ive been considering are dulcis, bambusoides and iridescens. Just interested in which ones will perform best in my area. Leaning towards dulcis just because I really like the looks of it.

I planted moso last year, but it was a really small and weak division. It died. I should have kept it potted instead of planting it out so soon.

Plants I currently have.
Vivax
Vivax aureocaulis
Vivax h. inversa
Nigra
Robert Young
Sasa palmata
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

I'm not sure what look(s) you are going for, I think that Phy makinoi is under appreciated and would do quite well in your climate. New culms will retain a blue look from the powder for quite some time, it has extremely hard wood and is generally pretty vertical, gets a decent size as well.

http://needmorebamboo.com/?page_id=630
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
Steve73

Post by Steve73 »

needmore wrote:I'm not sure what look(s) you are going for, I think that Phy makinoi is under appreciated and would do quite well in your climate. New culms will retain a blue look from the powder for quite some time, it has extremely hard wood and is generally pretty vertical, gets a decent size as well.

http://needmorebamboo.com/?page_id=630
Thats one I had not considered. Do you think 3" diameter is possible in the southeast?
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

Probably not 3", but an interesting 2".

Another interesting one that would likely get 3" is the green form of Phy viridis, it sizes up pretty quickly and is similar to the Phy makinoi in being pretty upright with strong wood.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
Steve73

Post by Steve73 »

Thank you Brad for the suggestions. Yes viridis is a nice one, although after looking at the makinoi, you may have convinced me to try it. Looks interesting.
Glen

Post by Glen »

Regarding Phyllostachys makinoi...

I have grown that species in Zone 8b for around 17 years. It is an outstanding species, really the only one that has vigor comparable to Phyllostachys aurea in that area.

P. makinoi has withstood droughts that have killed other established Phyllostachys species, and it has covered a lot of ground. The largest culms have been about 2.5 inches in diameter.

Phyllostachys viridis in similarly hardy, but it spreads much more slowly for me.
Steve73

Post by Steve73 »

Thanks for the info Glen. I might see if Jim Bonner has any in stock. He is Just a couple hours south of me.