Digging up bamboo in summer months

Other things that involve bamboo

Moderator: needmore

Andros2240
Location info: 0

Digging up bamboo in summer months

Post by Andros2240 »

Hello,

Has anyone here had any luck digging up bamboo and transplanting in summer months?

I live in the Southern Hemisphere/Uruguay and in the past year have planted and potted over 100 bamboo plants (not species).

Bambusa Tuldoides, Bambusa Oldhamii, Bambusa multiplex,Bambusa ventricosa, Bambusa Vulgaris, Bambusa Balcoaa (potted) Guadua Chacoensis,dendrocalamus asper, chusquea ramossisima, fargesia/borinda fungosa, fargesia yunnanensis, phyllostachys nigra, phyllostachys bambusoides, phyllostachys aurea,
Phyllostachys puebescens/moso(15 potted plants) and pleioblastus Simonii.

These are the only species available to me in my region.

I have recently had a slammer tool made which makes life a lot easier, especially when you’ve been using a spade to dig up bamboo. I would like to dig up the rest of my simonii bamboo that is behind my waterfall pond and next to the house as it’s starting to take over.

I would also like to establish a grove of aurea bamboo, as I am able to dig up mature culm divisions to replant.

Is this something that I would be able to do in the summer months here in Uruguay? (January=July)

I have an area in mind for the aurea where it would be able to spread and later on down the road plan to control with rhizome pruning. The area I have in mind is about a 300x200 ft area.

Thank you,
Andy
Glen

Re: Digging up bamboo in summer months

Post by Glen »

As long as you get a good rootball with each division, running bamboo can definitely be transplanted in the summer. You will have to keep them well watered.

You may have to cut the culms back some to compensate for root loss.
dependable

Post by dependable »

If you have a choice, it is better to wait until any new shoots have fully come up and hardened off, otherwise you will likely loose them, not that that would kill the plant.
Andros2240

Post by Andros2240 »

Thank you for replies
Andros2240

Post by Andros2240 »

After digging up and transplanting a few simonii divisions last month, I’ve decided to wait until late April/May to dig up anymore bamboo. It has been extremely dry in Uruguay this summer which is not common, that and the plants don’t seem to like transplanting even with a good sized root ball with the heat. I also might have an opportunity to dig up some bambusa tuldoides that would be used as a wind break and privacy fencing.

When digging up bamboo that will need staking in its new home is there any methods for staking multiple plants? Or does each plant have to be staked separately? Aurea and hopefully tuldoides are anywhere from 20-30 ft tall.
dependable

Post by dependable »

One can stake multiple culms by wrapping webbing or line loosely around a small group of them and supporting with one stake. Another method is to tie line or webbing between two or more trees or stout posts and using it to support a line of bamboo.