How to control a clumper: Oldhamii

Other things that involve bamboo

Moderator: needmore

GlennHam
Location info: 0

How to control a clumper: Oldhamii

Post by GlennHam »

About 10 years ago we planted a clumper Bambusa oldhamii in our backyard as a screen from our suburban neighbors. It has been great but it is now slowly inching its way into territory where it shouldn’t be. This past summer I used a mattock / pick axe to dig out rising shoots many times that came into the neighboring lawn a few feet from where it was planted. Now it is creeping into the neighbor’s yard and damaging a fence which is only about 6 or 7 feet from where it was planted. I am looking for guidance on controlling its spread.

First, I am wondering if I might be watering it too much. Being a Californian, I doubt it but I thought I would ask.

I’ve read about using a rhizome barrier of HDPE. I understand this is necessary for running bamboo but for clumping ???? Any alternatives? If not, how thick should the material be? Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks, Glenn
ganhaar
Location info: 0

Re: How to control a clumper: Oldhamii

Post by ganhaar »

I have a 20 y.o. oldhamii clump and it spread seems to slow down but it is still expanding outward. It doesn't sound like an oldhamii to me if the culms are appearing a few feet away from the main clump although maybe there is a well watered and fertilised lawn or garden that it is seeking out. I've always found oldhamii to be a nice tight clump with very erect culms. It should be easy enough to control by removing culms within a couple of feet of where you want to limit it and then harvesting and eating any new shoots that venture into the territory.